• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger Fender Tag & Broadcast sheet

Yes I have. You will notice in the chart that none of the Chargers listed have a "Z" code listed.

Just a thought....
The build sheet shows in the 50 column "Spl Paint Treatment" and inserted is "8" which, I think" we all agree that 508 on RR and GTX was the performance Hood paint for '68. But notice the block is labeled "Spl Paint Treatment" and is not specific to the hood.

COULD the "Spl Paint Treatment" block mean something related to the treatment of the painting of the car such as a process for cars to be displayed by the Mfg. or SOMETHING ELSE unique to that particular Charger.

I know that a 8 under the B on line 3 of the fender tag is for "Buffed Paint" but just throwing out an idea not an answer.

It is defiantly unique that this code is on a Charger.
The mystery continues.
BTW, congratulations on you obtaining the car
great find

Last edited:
Just a thought....
The build sheet shows in the 50 column "Spl Paint Treatment" and inserted is "8" which, I think" we all agree that 508 on RR and GTX was the performance Hood paint for '68. But notice the block is labeled "Spl Paint Treatment" and is not specific to the hood.

COULD the "Spl Paint Treatment" block mean something related to the treatment of the painting of the car such as a process for cars to be displayed by the Mfg. or SOMETHING ELSE unique to that particular Charger.

I know that a 8 under the B on line 3 of the fender tag is for "Buffed Paint" but just throwing out an idea not an answer.

It is defiantly unique that this code is on a Charger.
The mystery continues.
BTW, congratulations on you obtaining the car
great find

I have been told that Z8 means paint by the small turn signal shallow cove which was common on 69 Chargers. That seems a bit much to do a special order for 2 very small, barely seen paint areas. It might be, but I am doubtful.

Right now, without another example to compare with, it is a mystery. If it is a unicorn, it will probably remain so.

I Agree
If you look at Mopar Hunter's data base (in excess 0f 350 '68 Chargers), NOT ONE of them displays a Z8 code.
So not likely it represents the paint treatment on the turn signals insert.

Is the car repainted/restored? If not, a good place to look for evidence would be would be in the cowl vent grille.

I have been told that Z8 means paint by the small turn signal shallow cove which was common on 69 Chargers. That seems a bit much to do a special order for 2 very small, barely seen paint areas. It might be, but I am doubtful.

Right now, without another example to compare with, it is a mystery. If it is a unicorn, it will probably remain so.

As stated before, we do not know if there is a correlation between the Special Order and Z/8.

Your car codes Z/8. We cannot find that code on other Charger tags. There could be several reasons for this but we do not have any supporting documentation.

It has also not been mentioned your car codes S/8 for a black stripe. I'd encourage you to look at the registry list again and notice how many cars listed code S/8.

From earlier....It came from the Houston area. Rust bucket that has been reskinned.

This car came into your possession after, as you said, was a rust bucket that apparently needed extensive work. do we believe a 'rust bucket' car tag would still look this good? Would the tag survive this well when other parts of the car needed reskinned?

Regrettably, and I've been avoiding this line of thinking, we many need to start exploring other reasons why your tag codes differently than other tags. It may be a unicorn but not for reasons we hope for.

Something to at least consider.

Last edited:
As stated before, we do not know if there is a correlation between the Special Order and Z/8.

Your car codes Z/8. We cannot find that code on other Charger tags. There could be several reasons for this but we do not have any supporting documentation.

It has also not been mentioned your car codes S/8 for a black stripe. I'd encourage you to look at the registry list again and notice how many cars listed code S/8.

From earlier....It came from the Houston area. Rust bucket that has been reskinned.

This car came into your possession after, as you said, was a rust bucket that apparently needed extensive work. do we believe a 'rust bucket' car tag would still look this good? Would the tag survive this well when other parts of the car needed reskinned?

Regrettably, and I've been avoiding this lined thinking, we many need to start exploring other reasons why your tag codes differently than other tags. It may be a unicorn but not for reasons we hope for.

I considered it and discarded it. That code is not for a Hemi engine. It essentially adds no value to the car. Why would someone fake a fender tag and broadcast sheet for a paint code? Rust buckets often have very nice fender tags. Here is one from my other 68 Charger. Tag in pretty darn good shape.

20220216_110542.jpg

Regrettably, and I've been avoiding this line of thinking, we many need to start exploring other reasons why your tag codes differently than other tags. It may be a unicorn but not for reasons we hope for.

I heard back from Wise's office. Looks like the Z8 code will probably remain a mystery. They had no records from that plant showing a Z8 code for a Charger so far. It was probably a one off special order paint treatment. They said the Z8 code, no matter the what it represented, would trigger the y9 code which would most likely trigger the u1 code.

Since the original paint is gone, no way to tell what the Z8 would match up to. The tag and BS are real, but what the Z8/508 code represents will most likely not be solved.

And you were 100% correct that the 508 code could be different from plant to plant.

Thanks for your insights. They are appreciated.

Maybe I will nickname the car 'Unicorn' or maybe 'Mystery'.

I've never seen any special paint
on any OE Orginal 1968 Chargers' from base models to R/T or Hemi models
on the hoods treatment ...'ever'
69-70 or later, well yeah, all kinds of it...
Not on a 68

But;
with ma MoPar I've learned to never say never
But;
I highly doubt it's a hood treatment code on any 1968 Charger
I've owned a dozen of them & seen thousands,
never seen any "OE Org.", 'special hood or paint' treatments

I wonder if it was something to do with the
"poly-metallic paint &/or buffing" special paint treatment
my build sheet for my 68 RR had a code for it,
for the LL1 Surf Turquoise Poly/Metallic Paint treatment...
it's LL1 Med Dark Turquoise Poly/Metallic on Dodge
not sure what broadcast/build sheet code it was (?)
(& the code for the Blacked out hood treatment too on a Plymouth)
that (both) was paint code related,
I don't have the broadcast/'build'-sheet in front of me either...
I'm not that **** retentive to remember it...
(someone else had mentioned above)

I'll defer to the more numbers related 'experts' here

Mopar Paint Chips 1968-Dodge-pc - brightened up.jpg

not sure if this paint codes/photo is any better clearer
you can blow them up on your end
I can't make them any bigger & post it
Mopar Paint Chips 1968-Dodge-pc.jpg

Last edited:
I heard back from Wise's office. Looks like the Z8 code will probably remain a mystery. They had no records from that plant showing a Z8 code for a Charger so far. It was probably a one off special order paint treatment. They said the Z8 code, no matter the what it represented, would trigger the y9 code which would most likely trigger the u1 code.

Since the original paint is gone, no way to tell what the Z8 would match up to. The tag and BS are real, but what the Z8/508 code represents will most likely not be solved.

And you were 100% correct that the 508 code could be different from plant to plant.

Thanks for your insights. They are appreciated.

Maybe I will nickname the car 'Unicorn' or maybe 'Mystery'.

And I doubt you will ever find a Z/8 code on another Charger from either plant.

No way to know why it was coded or what triggered what. Without proof, it's guessing.

It is interesting the car codes Special Order and 508 but, yet, does not carry a special order SO. Did he cover that?

Did he explain why the tag is miscoded for the stripe?

You have two coding 'anomalies' on the tag that, logically and being intellectually honest, must raise questions as to how they got there.

Did Dave explain or discuss his methods of providing documentation or decoding and making new tags for customers that, at times, have not held up to peer scrutiny?

Last edited:

And I doubt you will ever find a Z/8 code on another Charger from either plant.

No way to know why it was coded or what triggered what. Without proof, it's guessing.

It is interesting the car codes Special Order and 508 but, yet, does not carry a special order SO. Did he cover that?

Did he explain why the tag is miscoded for the stripe?

I believe the BS is real. You have two coding 'anomalies' on the tag that, logically and being intellectually honest, must raise questions as to how they got there.

Did Dave explain or discuss his methods of providing documentation or decoding and making new tags for customers that, at times, have not held up to peer scrutiny?

The car is not miscoded for the Hood Performance Paint Treatment. According to Wise's office, the Z8/508 code just meant something else at that plant for this particular car. The car does indeed have the y9 tag Special order) and the u1 (sold car) tag and 699 BS Special Order designation. The only anomaly is the Z8 on the tag which is reflected on the BS.
According to his office the triggering of codes USUALLY followed the 508 - 699 (special order) - 691 (sold car) sequence. Of course, if the Z8 was an error, then the other codes would have been triggered incorrectly. Wise office just said that was the normal progression at that plant. Other plants could differ.
All I wanted to discover was the paint scheme for the car. I do not even need the fender tag since the car will be a restomod with a 392 Hemi. The title, VIN plate, core support and trunk stamp all match. It is a RT car. The options on it are interesting, but not important for my purposes.
And seriously, who would fake a fender tag and BS on a worthless code and then let it rust away? If it was a Hemi coded car, I would be suspicious. This is MAYBE a custom paint special order. Interesting, but not really valuable.

Last edited:
Not on a 68

But;
But;

View attachment 1264926

View attachment 1264935

I suspect it will remain a mystery. The Z8/508 code could have been a mistake. According to Wise's office the Z8/508 code AT THAT PLANT would trigger the y9/699 Special order) code which could also trigger the u1/691(sold car). One mistake leads to another. But after 53 years, who knows? Plus the car was built on a Friday. I suspect a higher mistake rate on Friday, lol!

I just wanted to research the car for the correct paint scheme. The Z8 code was an oddity I thought to be worth researching. It appears to be a dead end and that is fine with me.

Last edited:
Not on a 68

But;
But;

View attachment 1264926

View attachment 1264935

The Z8 may have been an error. The car was built on a Friday. The Z8/508 code may have triggered the y9/699 code that triggered the u1/691 code. One mistake leads to another.
The guy on the assembly line says, "Hey! What is this Z8 crap?!". His foreman says, "Ignore it, Dave. It is 4pm, just do the usual way."

seems the 999 & 699 codes (special paint or paint treatments)
are (many times) surrounded by some sort of mystery
or need real documentation (few other codes too)

I'll defer to @69Coronetrt , @Richard Cranium , @1 Wild R/T
they have a better/greater grasp of these deals

I'm much more of a day 2 guy, old drag-racer
That's owned/loved MoPars since (1970) before I could drive
We have lots of guys who worked there (various different assembly plants)
on here or relatives that worked for Ma' MoPar
great sources, knowledgeable & helpful people/members

Albeit the #'s stuff does spark an interest every so often

Like you were saying it's going to be a resto-mod anyway
non #'s so that goes out the window or good conversation piece maybe...

make sure to visit our
Resto-Mod & Pro-Touring forum section here too
should be right up your alley, for your build style

good luck & happy MoParing

Is it possible to find the dealer code.

Auto Transport Service
Back