• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger NSS, should I get ground signal in Park?

funknut

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
1968 Charger, I believe it is the original trans. It has the 1-post NSS connector. All the wiring is new, but I don't think it's a wiring problem. New shifter and shifter cable. It's a big block car if that matters.

I was trying to start it for the first time in a long while but could not get the starter solenoid to engage. No problems getting the starter to kick over when jumpering at the solenoid.

I checked the NSS lead from the trans and was not getting ground signal in Park. I had an assistant move the shifter through its positions while I probed the NSS under the car and I could only get ground signal when in Neutral. I even disconnected the shifter linkage thinking maybe it wasn't fully engaging park, but same issue.

I had the trans rebuilt with stock components last summer.

Should I be getting ground from the NSS in park? I never had this problem before I took the car apart, but a lot has been changed since. :)

Thanks.

Do you have a manual valve body?

How did I know that? Because I have one. Chrysler had 2 different types of NSS and the actuator on the valve body is different for each type. They use the newer style on the reverse valve bodies so they don’t start in park with the old style NSS. No big deal, I’ve had mine like that for 25 years. Good to start in N anyway so it circulates the fluid.

Auto Transport Service
Back