• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 1968 Charger R/T

Status
Not open for further replies.

verdelaw

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hello all,

I've decided to list my car for reasons described below. I'm listing it on FBBO first since I'm partial to this site and it's members and want real MoPar fans to have the first shot.. then I'll probably go over to DC, then Clist, then maybe Hemmings. Pretty sure I want to avoid ebay. I have many more pics, of the good and the bad, and I can take more. I have a blurry video of it running too that my wife took :D If there are any errors, they are honest. Let me know and I'll rectify them. Anyway here's the post:

1968 Dodge Charger R/T

VIN: XS29L8B1*****

This TRUE Charger R/T was a Texas car for most of its life, then went to Minnesota where it was garaged for around one year, and finally to Illinois where it has been garaged and hardly driven for about the last two years. I’ve found that I don’t have the time to enjoy and/or properly work on this car due to repeated deployments and trips. This car is registered in California (I’m military), and has current CA black plates. The car retains its fender tag and VIN plate, but no build sheet has been found yet. Car runs, drives, and stops just fine for neighborhood driving but is not ready for highway driving in my opinion. I have a clean CA title in my name. Asking $26.5k, no trades. Car is located in Belleville, IL.

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a10.jpg

a11.jpg

a8.jpg

a7.jpg

a9 cut.jpg

a3.jpg

a12.jpg

Mechanics:
440ci big block V8 engine; Non numbers matching, told it is from a ’67 Imperial
Engine has Brad Penn oil w/zinc additive
Appears to be completely stock engine/intake/transmission
New Summit 4 barrel 750 CFM carb w/vacuum secondary
Period-correct 4 barrel Carter carb comes w/car
Recently redone dual exhaust
Torqueflite 727 Automatic 3-speed transmission; Non numbers matching
Stock suspension; torsion bar front, leaf springs rear
Stock K-member
Original AC compressor, no AC plumbing
Power Steering
Power Brakes w/drums on all four
8 ¾ rear end: told they’re 3.23 gears
Recently replaced fuel pump
New Optima battery
Headlights/taillights work

Exterior:
Original GG1 “Racing Green Metallic” dark green paint w/stripe-delete
Currently has patina and little dings and scrapes here and there, not bad for 50 years old. Dent in lower rear part of right quarter panel. Rust hole in lower left corner under bumper
Original body panels all around except passenger door; told from a ’69 Charger
Original frame rails are solid; car has never been hit
Original grill is immaculate
Chrome bumpers complete and in decent shape
Headlight doors retain original (nonworking) vacuum plumbing; currently manual
Green vinyl top removed by previous owner; now sanded, primed, and painted matte black
Original “Nascar” style fuel cap
Original and unmolested straight body w/good gaps; door lips and jambs are solid
Original solid trunk lid (GG1 green) comes w/car but has a dent in it
Replacement trunk lid (painted matte black) has internal rust but no dent
Original undercarriage still has factory undercoating
Original floors strong; driver and back solid, passenger has two tiny dime-sized holes
Original quarters are in very good solid shape
Brand new BFG Radial T/A white-letter tires all around
275/60/15 Rears and 235/60/15 Fronts
Brand new Black 15" Basset D-Window wheels all around
Appears to be original glass; windshield is cracked
Wheel well chrome trim was removed for looks, but comes w/car

Interior:
Original green vinyl interior is in decent shape overall
Green bucket seats with headrests
Console car with auto shifter in console
Brand new Grant wood steering wheel w/working horn button (don’t have the original wheel)
Original dash w/glove box
Original gauges with Tick-Tock-Tach (all currently non-functioning except ammeter)
Door panels are in decent shape; passenger side missing top panel
Seatbelts front and back
Carpet was removed as it was beyond cleaning/repair
Headliner was removed as it was badly torn; headliner bows come w/car

Fender Tag decode:
CAR: Dodge Charger R/T 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 White Side Wall, steel belted
BUILD DATE: November 09.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Charger Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Green Interior
PAINT: Monotone Racing Green Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Racing Green Metallic Upper Door Frame Color. Stripe Deleted.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
H1: Power Brakes
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R0: AM 8-Track Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
T7: Tachometer
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y4: Green Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
g7: Unknown Option
j7: Unknown Option
k6: Unknown Option
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Rust:
Trunk floor will need to be replaced (standard MoPar); it is still strong though
Dime-size holes in pass floor board
Rear left corner under bumper has a hole
Surface rust here and there

Misc:
Missing right-front turn signal, trunk lock, original radio, rear speaker, wiper switch, top vent, carpet, top pad on right door panel, headliner among other bits
Wiring, especially in engine bay, needs sorting; it’s a tangle
Needs battery holder bracket and little things here and there, 95% complete
Almost all lighting works
Various trim, extra triangle window, new battery tray, and odds and ends come w/car

Parting shots:

This is a solid car that some might call a “survivor”. I think it’s more of a driver. If you’re looking to drive it a little while you work on it, this is the car for you. It is straight, mostly stock, and relatively clean and unmolested. The few changes that have been made are relatively minor and this could easily be a resto-mod build or stock restoration (I haven’t seen many green/green/green cars). Everybody knows these cars are hard to find. NADA Guide and Hagerty value this car in the $30,000 range; I have priced my car at what I think is fair. Yes, the zip ties and surface rust are included. If you don’t want the rims/tires, we can negotiate that.

I am just an ordinary MoPar enthusiast who would like to sell to someone like-minded. You will not find a more honest seller as I have nothing to hide. I am in no hurry to sell as I don’t mind having an appreciating asset in my garage. How you act as a person and a buyer go a long way as to how I act as the seller. Please read the description well and ask any questions you can’t find the answer to either in the text or in the pictures. I will respond to serious inquiries as I receive them. I accept cash (preferred) or wire transfer (on a case by case basis); car doesn’t leave with you until all funds have been received. Any shipping will be up to the buyer to arrange and pay for. That said, I am open to overseas buyers. A $500 (cash/USPS money order) nonrefundable deposit holds the car for you for 3 days until the remaining payment is made. Will provide bill of sale with title.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1968/Dodge/Charger-R-T/2-Door-Hardtop-440/Values

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1968-Dodge-Charger-R!T?id=124575

Last edited:
Bump.

Lots of inquiries, I'm doing my best to keep up. Here are a couple notes I have about what people seem to ask repeatedly:

If it is still posted here for sale.. then it is STILL FOR SALE.
Make an offer
, all I can say is no if I don't like it.
If you'd like more pictures that's fine, but if you can be specific about what you'd like to see, that would help us both save time.

Cheers!

More pics:
Charger-12.jpg
Charger-13.jpg
Charger-19.jpg
Charger-20.jpg
DSC_1232.jpg
DSC_1252.jpg
DSC_1253.jpg
DSC_1254.jpg
DSC_1255.jpg
DSC_1256.jpg

Last edited:
Please do not dicker, haggle, or make offers on pricing in ads. Use PM / Conversation tool and take it offline

Bump.

Still for sale, but with lots of interested parties and two serious offers (no money down yet though).

Update:
The wiper switch is NOT missing.. it appears to just be a small rectangular panel of the dash itself missing just to the right of the speedometer... see pics in previous posts to see for yourself.

I took a look at the engine casting numbers and it appears to be a 68 coded 440 RB motor with a 68 440-4 intake. Please let me know if this is incorrect...
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2339.jpg

I've been told that it's actually 66 dated. This would make sense with what I was told about the motor being from a 67 Imperial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back