• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Spent most of the day at the hospital as my mother had emergency hernia surgery last night. She is doing fine. I did have enough time this morning to reseal the Saginaw power steering pump. These things are really easy as long as you not replacing the front bushing. The Gates kit I bought from Rock Auto did not include the bushing and I did not think I needed to based on the lack of noticeable play. Once I got it apart it was clear there was still minimal clearance and a new bushing was not needed.

Once the tank is removed the clip is removed by putting something through the hole in the casting that pushes the clip out so you can start rotating it out of the groove.

DSC_0126.jpg

Once apart just pry the seal out. The shaft is removed out the back. I removed the C clip on the rotor and completely disassembled it. You don't have to do this (and the manual suggests you replace the clip with a new full round clip if you remove it). I was very careful removing and installing it and don't see where I deformed it at all so I am going with the original.

DSC_0127.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the new o-rings and reassembly.

DSC_0125.jpg

When reinstalling the vanes make sure the rounded edge is out.

DSC_0128.jpg

The cam where the vanes ride on has an arrow on the side of it. That arrow much go "up" towards the tank. If it is placed in upside down the pump will need to rotate the opposite direction to develop pressure.

A simple clamp works great to compress the spring and cover to get the big clip back in the groove. Don't forget to lube all the o-rings before assembling.
DSC_0130.jpg

Final cleaning and a new paint job and it is ready to install.

DSC_0131.jpg
DSC_0132.jpg

Total time less than 90 minutes and less than $15 in parts.

Last edited:
I don't know what is happening but UPS again did not deliver my FirmFeel steering gear.... Guess I don't get my steering installed in the K-frame this weekend.

Awesome thread! Thanks for the details & photos.

I hope your mother is feeling better. My dad has had three hernia operations for the same damn hernia. I hope they got it right this time. He hates missing out on his golf season.

Awesome thread! Thanks for the details & photos.

I hope your mother is feeling better. My dad has had three hernia operations for the same damn hernia. I hope they got it right this time. He hates missing out on his golf season.

Thanks Glenwood. She is going home today.

Started to assemble the accessories on the engine and come to find out that what I decided to not do right now is what I need... The alternator mounting is to the AC brackets... did not remember that... Time to restore the AC components...

The Manual says to use a 5/8" 11 x 2.5" bolt to pull the AC clutch off. Worked like a charm with the impact

DSC_0133.jpg
DSC_0134.jpg

If I EVER do this kind of thing again I AM buying a nice bead blasting cabinet. This is getting old...

DSC_0142.jpg

AC components are clean and like new.

DSC_0143.jpg
DSC_0144.jpg

Well fall is finally here in Arizona. The temperature is in the high 50s so it is too cold to paint. Luckily the family is gone for the day so I can pretend I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner to preheat the parts before I paint them :). Please don't tell her...

DSC_0145.jpg

Love your techniques, Jim.
With original AC are you going with R134, or a propane type refrigerant?

Well UPS just emailed me with the reason my gear is not delivered. They are contacting FirmFeel for a damage claim.... wonderful. I have a hard time believing that they could do anything to damage that boat anchor. More than likely the anchor is just busting out of its box. Crossing my fingers that they did not drop it and break off a mounting ear or something....

Well UPS just emailed me with the reason my gear is not delivered. They are contacting FirmFeel for a damage claim.... wonderful. I have a hard time believing that they could do anything to damage that boat anchor. More than likely the anchor is just busting out of its box. Crossing my fingers that they did not drop it and break off a mounting ear or something....

Ouch, hope they take care of it quickly. On a somewhat related note, my neighbor ordered a gas tank from Spectra. When it arrived the filler neck was sticking through a hole in the box. Not a shipper blunder but it the box was cut so the neck stuck out...on purpose. The neck is brazed on (1970 El Camino) and didn't use a big enough box lol. I told him I hope it wasn't cracked. Wish I got a picture of it.

Ouch, hope they take care of it quickly. On a somewhat related note, my neighbor ordered a gas tank from Spectra. When it arrived the filler neck was sticking through a hole in the box. Not a shipper blunder but it the box was cut so the neck stuck out...on purpose. The neck is brazed on (1970 El Camino) and didn't use a big enough box lol. I told him I hope it wasn't cracked. Wish I got a picture of it.

that is way to much trust in the shipping department....

Now I am confused after looking into it. To get my stock hoses updated with barrier hose for R134 and buying the R134 compatible front seal and gasket kit I will have as much in the original AC as buying a Sanden retrofit kit made for the B body......

Decisions, decisions...

Now I am confused after looking into it. To get my stock hoses updated with barrier hose for R134 and buying the R134 compatible front seal and gasket kit I will have as much in the original AC as buying a Sanden retrofit kit made for the B body......

Decisions, decisions...

Old hoses have soaked up enough oil that you don't neet to replace them unless they are bad. I have not heard (I did not at least) about having to replace seals or gaskets (unless bad). The only thing I did was a retro-fit valve kit, and an updated expansion valve as the pressures are different.

Old hoses have soaked up enough oil that you don't neet to replace them unless they are bad. I have not heard (I did not at least) about having to replace seals or gaskets (unless bad). The only thing I did was a retro-fit valve kit, and an updated expansion valve as the pressures are different.

Hi Dave,

I do now see the deal with the hoses and the mineral oil. It can't hurt to try it. The claim is the front seal on the RV2 are not compatible and you should by the blue neoprene seals, also the o-rings are not. I wanted the gaskets so I could pull it down to clean out the mineral oil and replace it with oil that is compatible with R134 so any residual mineral oil does not break down the R134 oil but.... now that I read more there are now oils that are compatible with with both and that problem goes away... (ester oil) it is also easier on your seals and o-rings.

I guess the worse thing that could happen is it leaks and I have to send the hoses out or replace the seal. It comes off easily. I guess I will just by the new dryer, orings, flush the evaporator/condensor and fill it with ester oil and see what happens. I just did not want to destroy the factory compressor by doing something incorrectly.

Last edited:
Jim, where did you buy your rebuild kit from for your RV2 compressor? I want to rebuild mine as well.
The plan was here:

http://windycitymusclecars.com/1961-76-mopar-rv2-air-conditioning-a-c-compressor-shaft-seals/

this is the other one I found:
https://www.finditparts.com/product...muu-K5929452&gclid=CJ_GruOiydACFUlyfgodfWAHlg

The price difference bothers me....

They don't have it on their main website but they do have it on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-76-Mop...ash=item28158f9504:g:2WAAAOSwSzdXBt0p&vxp=mtr

Santech was the go to place for these parts but I can't find anyone who has them in stock with no date for them to be back in stock... wondering if they stopped making them....

Last edited:
Well fall is finally here in Arizona. The temperature is in the high 50s so it is too cold to paint. Luckily the family is gone for the day so I can pretend I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner to preheat the parts before I paint them :). Please don't tell her...
My wife said jokingly this morning "won't his AC smell like turkey when he turns it on"?

I don't remember which of my A Body freinds switched to the propane refrigerant, but it seemed to work well and was a painless change over.

Thanks for that Jim. You are right, the pricing is not quite right. I will also do some research and see what I come up with. I will let you know if I find anything out.

Did not do much today. Was frustrated with the painting I did on the brackets I blasted the other day. Here is where this Krylon needs to go...

DSC_0147.jpg

I used this on the power steering pump 3 days ago and it is still so soft it leave my finger prints in it. I was too anxious (and cheap) to order another quart of black SPI epoxy. I am paying for it. I will be stripping the brackets and PS pump again and ordering the epoxy tomorrow. The parts I used the epoxy on a few weeks ago are very tough. I dropped the alternator on the K-frame and it barely scratched it.

Spent several hours trying to relearn where all these stupid brackets go. I finally figured it out and seem to have one bolt missing. I am not sure if it was never there or not. Also a nut and washer on the AC was missing (from the day I got the car I am sure). I will need to raid Dave's Mopar bolt stash to see if I can find the right nut and washer :)

DSC_0148.jpg

Notice all the finger prints all over the AC/Alt brackets. The Krylon is still soft..... The crank and water pump pulleys are SPI epoxy and tough.

Whew, the steering gear poked a hole in its bag and was dripping oil. UPS procedure is to open it to see if they broke something that caused it to leak. Just residual oil escaping. Will be delivered today.

Thanks for that Jim. You are right, the pricing is not quite right. I will also do some research and see what I come up with. I will let you know if I find anything out.

Just order the gasket and seal kits from Windy City Muscle. I only wanted a couple of gaskets but the whole kit was the same price as the few I wanted.... Will see what they look like.

Auto Transport Service
Back