• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T Ebay bid at $35.1k **Not Mine**

New tech is impressive, but personally I prefer to drive the car myself... I wind up in new rentals all the time & hate when they do **** I don't need done...

And yes the top performance models didn't offer luxury/comfort as a priority... My Hemi Challenger had 4 gears & 4:10's, not allot more... But honestly it wasn't the best car to jump in & take on a road trip... Which is how I tend to use my cars..
I’m kind of old school in that I remember when a lot of the six figure muscle cars were just “hot rods” that young guys drove. I was looking at a guys ‘68 L78 396 Chevelle, and he pointed out the deep groove pulleys, and proudly said you couldn’t get AC on that engine. I believe the LS6 454 was N/A as well. I don’t think LT-1 350’s ever got AC. They all came with at least a 3.73 rear ratio. So the RPM’s were probably too much for the available compressors. I’m thinking of AC for my ‘68 GTX build. But I’ll go with a modern unit.

I look at it this way. It's at a restoration shop. If it was feasible to restore they should do it themselves. They have all the tools and experience. It obviously didn't make sense to them so why should it work for us? Now if you have the tools and experience and a whole bunch of free time it might work for you if you really watched what you spent closely.

Not sure if it's "the most loaded Charger built". There's a guy in Virginia who still owns the 68 Charger RT his dad won in Dodge's "Pick of the pack" sweepstakes. The winner was given the choice of Dart GTS, Coronet RT or Charger RT equipped how they wanted. The current owner of the car remembers his dad checking off every option on the order form. He had to go back and eliminate the Hemi in favor of the 440 because the wife would be driving it and the Hemi option eliminated air conditioning.

Here's an old article on the restored car.
That's pretty awesome. Hell of a story to tell with that ride.
I look at it this way. It's at a restoration shop. If it was feasible to restore they should do it themselves. They have all the tools and experience. It obviously didn't make sense to them so why should it work for us? Now if you have the tools and experience and a whole bunch of free time it might work for you if you really watched what you spent closely.
The way I took the description is he's only selling to fund a modern 392 hemi swap into his '71 Challenger and the shop is just a 3rd party middle man. Most likely a lot cheaper to do the hemi swap than a full resto on the Charger. An individual doing it themselves would save a ton in labor costs too as you said.

Auto Transport Service
Back