• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Charger Steering Gear

Charger Too

Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
My steering gear, along with other parts were stolen from my 1968 Dodge Charger. Would a gear out of a 1967 or 1968 Newport Chrysler work? Secondly, where would I purchase the bolts to install the gear? I wonder if there are any parts/donor cars left, as I am sure I will need some additional parts as I rebuild the car. Thanks for your help!

Yes either would work.
But I wouldn't recommend just installing it without new seals.
Maybe just talk with Steer and Gear.

As far as the bolts you can place a WTB add here or check with anyone listing cars to part out.

The 1968 B body cars used a steering box with a small splined output shaft. I thought that the C bodies used the large sector.
Almost any steering box from an 62-72 A or B body should work. The Pitman arm is B body specific.
Seems like a great opportunity to just step up to this:

Borg 1.JPG

Borg 5.JPG

Borg 7.JPG

This guy:

BERGMAN AUTO CRAFT - INTRODUCTION

His company is a sponsor here. I've installed 2 of these with excellent results. Other members have as well. This is a NEW steering box that is smaller, 12 lbs lighter and has far better feel than an original steering box. It is not cheap but it is an excellent product.

Auto Transport Service
Back