• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 drip rail trim source

The right side I used a rubber mallet and ended up putting small dings in it and pissed me off. I then thought about the the churchkey I used to get them off. There is nothing really special once you start doing it you will see. Get the upper edge pushed all the way in then try to roll the lower edge over the the drip rail. I just used the churchkey and hooked the upper edge and instead of using the "claw" on the key to pull the trim lip off the rail I used the "claw" on the upper edge and used it as a pivot point, Removing I pulled on the "claw", installing I pushed in on the "claw". I pushed the tool in and rotated down as to pivot on the "claw" end of the key and roll and push the bottom edge down and around the drip rail lower edge. Once you start it will be obvious. It is just how were you put the pressure on the churchkey

I don't like the church key method of removing drip rail moldings. You are using the the molding as a fulcrum pivot, risking denting the trim.
I take a putty knife to pry the underside lip over. This trim is just too fragile and hard to find undamaged.

Did someone glue yours on or have silicone to keep them on? Mine had never been off and they just rolled right off with the churchkey.

The right side I used a rubber mallet and ended up putting small dings in it and pissed me off. I then thought about the the churchkey I used to get them off. There is nothing really special once you start doing it you will see. Get the upper edge pushed all the way in then try to roll the lower edge over the the drip rail. I just used the churchkey and hooked the upper edge and instead of using the "claw" on the key to pull the trim lip off the rail I used the "claw" on the upper edge and used it as a pivot point, Removing I pulled on the "claw", installing I pushed in on the "claw". I pushed the tool in and rotated down as to pivot on the "claw" end of the key and roll and push the bottom edge down and around the drip rail lower edge. Once you start it will be obvious. It is just how were you put the pressure on the churchkey
Got it. That's what I thought from your earlier description, but was afraid it would leave little dents in the top edge of the trim. Thanks, headed out to the body shop where I will meet the upholstery guy to install the vinyl top. I no longer trust myself to do that tedious work. ....Thanks Jim...................................MO

Did someone glue yours on or have silicone to keep them on? Mine had never been off and they just rolled right off with the churchkey.
Mine had never been off, but mine never had a vinyl roof either. And their were two different part numbers for that trim , depending on vinyl or not. Therefor mine did not have a bit of " cushion", therefor fitting tightly. Mine did have 2" long strips of soft material under the trim, I suppose to keep them from vibrating-rattleing. . .............................MO

Got it. That's what I thought from your earlier description, but was afraid it would leave little dents in the top edge of the trim. Thanks, headed out to the body shop where I will meet the upholstery guy to install the vinyl top. I no longer trust myself to do that tedious work. ....Thanks Jim...................................MO
If you need more pressure than would crush a soda can you need a piece of something beteeen the church key and trim to spread the pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back