• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX Fender Tag:

GTXMopar

Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
Can someone please decode this fender tag for me?I am not sure about this but would you say those are the wrong screws?

1968 FENDER TAG.jpg

68 GTX. 440-4 Automatic. 3.23 gears with Sure Grip. Green exterior with green bucket seat interior. Console. AM radio. Turn signal on fender. LH outside remote mirror. Someone ordered the car. Scheduled production date of June 11th, 1968. Built at St. Louis plant so the VIN starts RS23L8G

Yes. Wrong screws.

Thanks so much 69Coronetrt.Here is some photos of the car.Is that the wrong steering wheel?

1968-plymouth-gtx (28).jpg 1968-plymouth-gtx (8).jpg 1968-plymouth-gtx (26).jpg 1968-plymouth-gtx (27).jpg

68 GTX. 440-4 Automatic. 3.23 gears with Sure Grip. Green exterior with green bucket seat interior. Console. AM radio. Turn signal on fender. LH outside remote mirror. Someone ordered the car. Scheduled production date of June 11th, 1968. Built at St. Louis plant so the VIN starts RS23L8G

Yes. Wrong screws.
Also F70-14 Redlines

Looks Sweet! Even with a Dodge center piece.

Postage Stamp Tach has been added, but I like it & if it were mine I'd probably add it too...

I was thinking about bidding on car at sale.Seems like a fairly decent car but there is no build sheet!Here is what the owner states.
  • Matching 440 Engine HP (L-Code, 375 HP)
  • New Paint Original Forest Green ( G-Code)
  • Excellent Original Green Interior (S6F-Code)
  • Replated Bumpers and Misc Trim
  • Solid Original Floors and Trunk Pan
  • Original Fender Tag
  • New Chrome Crager Wheels with New 255/60/15 (rear) and 235/60/15 B.F. Goodrich Tires

Last edited:
There are websites out there that aid you in reading your fender tag; get in the habit
of doing research yourself. Google is your friend...
One such website: http://www.mymopar.com/tools.htm

Here's what the stock '68 GTX steering wheel looks like:
x.png

There are websites out there that aid you in reading your fender tag; get in the habit
of doing research yourself. Google is your friend...
One such website: http://www.mymopar.com/tools.htm

Regrettably, most online decoders are poorly done and allow for errors. they do not have an if/then filter to omit impossible combinations. With newbies, the errors or lack of clarity increases confusion that requires human explanation anyway. They do a poor job of 69 and up Lynch Road tags. Plus, online decoders cannot detect fraudulent tags. Generally with online decoders 'garbage in, garbage out."

So while admirable, online decoders fall short of what humans can offer. They can be a good start, but in the end, humans do a better job.

Trust, but verify.

Here's what's possible from the My Mopar decoder.

CE46:
Chrysler
Economy
9 Passenger Wagon

J9A: 426 HEMI 425HP 2-4BBL 8 CYL
Lynch Road, MI, USA

426725: Sequence number

E74: 426 Hemi 2x4 barrel V8 425hp
D13: 3 Speed Manual Transmission-Floor Shift
GB5: Bright Blue Metallic Exterior Color
PRXA: Trim - Premium, Leather Bucket Seats, Charcoal/Black
F8: Dark Green Metallic Int. Door Frames
229: Build Date: February 29
C23458: Order number

Last edited:
Regrettably, most online decoders are poorly done and allow for errors. they do not have an if/then filter to omit impossible combinations. With newbies, the errors or lack of clarity increases confusion that requires human explanation anyway. They do a poor job of 69 and up Lynch Road tags. Plus, online decoders cannot detect fraudulent tags. Generally with online decoders 'garbage in, garbage out."

So while admirable, online decoders fall short of what humans can offer. They can be a good start, but in the end, humans do a better job.

Trust, but verify.

Here's what's possible from the My Mopar decoder.....
That particular one does take some fiddling around with/getting used to in order to get proper results,
granted....but it can be done with a modicum of effort.
The point I was trying to make is that folks need to not be so quick to expect others to do their due diligence
for them.

If you check the STICKY at the start of this forum I posted a pretty helpful sheet to help decode 68 fender tags

Auto Transport Service
Back