• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX W/22" radiator bracket dilemma

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi all! So, I bought this Mancini 2949-130 urethane radiator shroud. It's got a 20-1/4" bore for the fan.
I have my stock 22" radiator and can't figure out how to mount it! Duh! The brackets I have are the
straight brackets just like they recommend for it. My radiator does not have a bolting flange to mount
the shroud to. It looks like I need brackets that are 90 degrees? Here's a pic of the shroud and my actual
radiator. Thanks Guys!
20230202_171121.jpg
20230202_165113.jpg

AHA! I now see from other pictures that the bolting flange are actually long 90 degree brackets that fit on both sides of the
radiator, and go from top to bottom! Dang, More parts to buy!
118A9BF9-232B-44A2-8FAB-A65E86682010.jpeg

Glad you figured it out. I'm using a similar shroud but my aftermarket radiator had mounting flanges already.

It looks like the cage nuts on the side of your radiator are already there, that’s the biggest hurdle. Making some brackets would be easy if you are not concerned about using factory style parts.

Glenn Ray radiators should have the factory bracket available if that's what your looking for.

Thanks Guys, I went back to Mancini and bought the two brackets. I can't get over how fast Mancini ships
stuff to me! I order something and half the time it comes the next day! the other half of the time it's two days.
Their prices are right in line with everyone else. I'm really impressed.

So I got the two brackets in record time! I tried to install them but the area where the bolts are that
fasten them to the side plates is raised. about a quarter of an inch. If I tighten the bolts down, the
brackets will crush in that area. here are some pic's. Any ideas before I send them back??? Thanks!
20230205_140357_resized.jpg
20230205_140429_resized.jpg
20230205_140503_resized.jpg

Got it! I crushed the area down a little and put blue loctite on the four bolts. Nothing is perfect!

Usually the rads that have the cage nuts in the side straps use the 2-piece metal shroud that attach with four brackets. The nose of these brackets slide into the slot ahead of the cage nut and bolt to the nut. The shroud then bolts to the brackets. Both the metal shroud and 4 brackets are available as repro's from the usual outlets. My '64 Polara has this type of radiator and shroud on it.

What's the part number on the radiator? Looks like it might be an earlier one..

Auto Transport Service
Back