• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 header exhaust help?

68Satellite440

Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
I have a ‘68 440 with long tube headers. I’m needing help with the pipe degree dimensions to get thru the trans crossmember and then the exhaust be parallel to the frame/driveline.
The current hack job i have now, the guy used two 45* elbows to clear it, but its not enough for the exhaust after to be straight, he even mounted the muffler crooked to get enough angle to go over axle.
Anyone have experience with the needed elbows for making self fabricated exhaust? Thanks.

4F25514A-4F3B-46E8-8B76-793056647B0D.png

99698282-498B-4335-8FAB-CD7BAEFCBE97.png

Man. Good luck with the DYI exhaust. Maybe you can make some pie cuts in just the right places to get it a little more to your liking. Mine goes to the exhaust shop tomorrow. Quoted me $600 from manifolds to mufflers 2.5” with H-pipe then exiting in front of rear tires T/A style. I supplied mufflers, band clamps, and hangers. I don’t think that’s horrible, yours should be less being you have headers.
Are you going to the El Reno car show and street drags June 2-4?

You wont get there with slip together parts. I buy bends and cut and weld what is needed. It's actually very easy to but weld exhaust pipe with a mig.
Doug

Thats my plan Doug. I have a welder, i just wanted to see if anyone knew the length and degree of pieces i needed. I figured many guys had been in my current shoes before.

Maybe a 45-90-45 or 30-60-30?

Man. Good luck with the DYI exhaust. Maybe you can make some pie cuts in just the right places to get it a little more to your liking. Mine goes to the exhaust shop tomorrow. Quoted me $600 from manifolds to mufflers 2.5” with H-pipe then exiting in front of rear tires T/A style. I supplied mufflers, band clamps, and hangers. I don’t think that’s horrible, yours should be less being you have headers.
Are you going to the El Reno car show and street drags June 2-4?
Well as much as I would love to drive it to the shop and throw some benjamins at someone else to do it, i just had my third child and that has a stranglehold on the budget so im trying to do all i can myself.
I planned on going to El Reno but unfortunately work has me scheduled that weekend. Bummer.

Well as much as I would love to drive it to the shop and throw some benjamins at someone else to do it, i just had my third child and that has a stranglehold on the budget so im trying to do all i can myself.
I planned on going to El Reno but unfortunately work has me scheduled that weekend. Bummer.
I get it with the family, it needs to come 1st. Well if you got the mig welder your more than halfway there. I say cut it up weld it back to fit better. I myself will do everything but exhaust im to much of a perfectionist on stuff i touch and im sure it wouldnt be good enough to satisfy me or it would take me 6 months to do. So I saved and sent it off. The guy does nice work, I expect to be pleased

I get it with the family, it needs to come 1st. Well if you got the mig welder your more than halfway there. I say cut it up weld it back to fit better. I myself will do everything but exhaust im to much of a perfectionist on stuff i touch and im sure it wouldnt be good enough to satisfy me or it would take me 6 months to do. So I saved and sent it off. The guy does nice work, I expect to be pleased
I found a picture of what i want mine to look like. Appears to be two 3 inch radius 45* bends. The crap on mine is two 4 1/2 radius. They overshot the angle and tried to bend it back. Ended up a mess that im taking all out. Hope this post helps someone!

030599EF-B860-40E9-AF0D-499C7C4E3120.png

Auto Transport Service
Back