• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

You would be correct Mario! The only thing that I found on my car is the Dash pads and the console are
a Turquoise shade as seen in the pics. Also, the arm rests are turquoise. Go figure!View attachment 1423457View attachment 1423458View attachment 1423459View attachment 1423463View attachment 1423464View attachment 1423465
Is the Teal color what you are calling Turquoise?
Your dash pad and glove box door, looks very similar to the color of the lower dash pads on my car.
This is as purchased, so you can see they replaced a bunch of stuff from a '69 model.
Interior Left side.jpg

I need some clarification on colors for the interior.
The exterior color is Q Electric Blue, which I have on hand.
The interior color is U Frost Blue, which I have on hand.
The steering column is Bahama Blue Suede, which I have already ordered.

Below are updated questions with answers received so far.
Questions:
1. It appears the inside of the trunk was painted in the exterior color. Would that be correct? YES
2. Should the door jambs match the exterior as well? YES
3. It appears the raised portion of the inner doors is Frost Blue, does the rest of door match the exterior paint? NO, its all Frost Blue
4. As for the interior metal in general (other than the Bahama Blue Suede), should it be the Frost Blue?
5. Which parts get the Bahama Blue Poly Suede?
a. The metal portion of the Dash YES
b. Steering Column Assembly YES
c. Windshield Garnish Moldings
d. Upper windshield trim molding
e. A-pillar moldings YES
f. Kick panels YES
g. Defroster vents YES
h. Mirror Bracket
6. Which color blue should the steering wheel be?
(My thoughts on this are that the console, steering wheel, pads on dash, sun visors and arm rests should match.)

The steering wheel is a Medium Blue, and yes, it is Teal, not Turquoise, sorry, I misspoke!
I sprayed my B-Pillar moldings teal to match the dash pad because you're always looking
where they meet at the ends of the dash. The Frost Blue is on the interrior of the doors and
stops underneath the weather stripping! It also covers the upper rear trim plates at the top
of the side panels.

You would be correct Mario! The only thing that I found on my car is the Dash pads and the console are
a Turquoise shade as seen in the pics. Also, the arm rests are turquoise. Go figure!View attachment 1423457View attachment 1423458View attachment 1423459View attachment 1423463View attachment 1423464View attachment 1423465
The armrests are turquoise? All of mine are white. The front ones may have been changed out at one time, but Im pretty sure the rear ones have never been touched.

Is the Teal color what you are calling Turquoise?
Your dash pad and glove box door, looks very similar to the color of the lower dash pads on my car.
This is as purchased, so you can see they replaced a bunch of stuff from a '69 model.
View attachment 1423466
I see you have the 0-150 speedo. We are discussing that in this thread...

You may have an early build.

I see you have the 0-150 speedo. We are discussing that in this thread...

You may have an early build.
Here's what I got from the VIN decoding:

CAR: Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 Red Sidewall, Steel Belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: October 06

Since they introduced next years models in September, I would assume the build date was October 6, 1967. The bad news is that was a Friday. LOL

Last edited:
The steering wheel is a Medium Blue, and yes, it is Teal, not Turquoise, sorry, I misspoke!
I sprayed my B-Pillar moldings teal to match the dash pad because you're always looking
where they meet at the ends of the dash. The Frost Blue is on the interrior of the doors and
stops underneath the weather stripping! It also covers the upper rear trim plates at the top
of the side panels.
I see a Navajo Turquoise Poly on this chart (two different codes) that look very similar to the Teal color. The problem is that the color chip on this sheet looks close but the stuff I find on the internet doesn't:

Trying to find examples of Cobalt Blue Poly 13395 and Medium Blue Poly 13355 is proving difficult as well.

1968-chryslerinterior-pg01.jpeg

If you look at the label on the quart of SEM dye, you'll see that I had Vinyl Pro out of Marietta Ga. mix it up for me.
I sent them the horn button and they mixed it from a known Mopar formula. The picture of the two glove box doors
are the original clean door next to a dyed door. Dead-on! Here is the SEM formula.
20210920_115338.jpg
20210920_115616.jpg

In the above referenced picture, is the Dash Pad the Teal or the Glove Box and Armrests?
They definitely look like different colors to me but I guess it could be camera angle or lighting?

The Dash pad looks like a match to my original lower dash pads.

Dash pad, lower dash pads, B-pillar moldings, console, and all four arm rest pads are Teal.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a rotisserie and got the car mounted on it.

I thought all the blast media was out of the car until I turned it on it's side. Then I turned it upside down and got a real shock. All in all, I rotated the car about 5 times, tapping the frame rails and supports with a dead blow hammer, to get all the media out.

Really wondering why I didn't buy one of these years ago?
Rotisserie.JPG

I did a lot of hammer and dolly work on the quarters as both had been previously banged up.

Tried real hard to use as little body filler as possible and then shot another coat of epoxy on the quarters, cowl, roof and trunk lid. I have some 80 grit scratches showing, but my plan is to shoot another coat of epoxy tomorrow and then when cured block sand it all with 180 grit to see where I'm at.

Hoping to go straight epoxy with this car and I'm so confident, that I ordered a gallon of 2k build primer to have on hand. LOL
Cowl.JPG

Left A Pillar.JPG

Right Quarter.JPG

It is always a bugger getting all the media out of a car. I would be willing to bet you still have a bunch in there if you only flipped the car 5 times. I spend many hours on that job. Found that repeated flipping side to side and blowing compressed air in all the rocker and frame holes while it is on its side eventually will get the bulk of it out.

D.A. the car with 320 and use the high build primer! It's softer and easier to cut than epoxy. A longboard
with some 120 will straighten everything out. One place to concentrate on getting the media out of is at
the rocker, just forward of the rear wheel house. The quarter panel is really close to the inner rocker panel
and everything collects there and rots! Leaves, water, blast media. once it's in there, it just stays wet and
causes problems.
marcs68resto23.jpg

It is always a bugger getting all the media out of a car. I would be willing to bet you still have a bunch in there if you only flipped the car 5 times. I spend many hours on that job. Found that repeated flipping side to side and blowing compressed air in all the rocker and frame holes while it is on its side eventually will get the bulk of it out.
Yes, I did the compressed air and also used a shop vac.
Rotated the car until I didn't see anymore media so hoping for the best.

Last edited:
I wasn't happy with the build of the epoxy primer so went ahead and shot two coats of regular 2k build primer.
Tomorrow afternoon I will apply some guide coat and start block sanding.
Left Quarter Panel.JPG

Trunk Area.JPG

Right Quarter Panel.JPG

One thing I didn't elaborate on is please use a primer gun with a BIG tip in it and you will get alot of
material on the car without dry spots, and it will take alot less time!

I have an Air Gunsa AZ3 HTE2 which has a 2.0 tip on it. Hoses the stuff on pretty good.

Auto Transport Service
Back