• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Road Runner Projects

Ray Bolden

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner a couple of years ago. The incentive was mostly because my wife and me purchased a 68 Road Runner new as our first new car. This current project has exactly the same equipment as our original - nothing! It's a 383 4-speed with a 323 differential and nothing else. After taking it for a drive I was quickly aware that I'm not as stout as I was at 21 years of age and figured I first needed to upgrade the steering. After doing some research I purchased the Borgeson 14-1 box, pump, pulley, and the universal joint needed for the steering column modification.
IMG_4461.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4470.JPG
IMG_4475.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG

The upgrade went smoothly and works very well. My only complaint with the steering is that I still have the large diameter stock steering wheel and it's somewhat cumbersome to drive. I'd like to find a stock appearing steering wheel that's about 15" in diameter, which would complement the new power box.

After finishing the steering project I moved on to upgrading the front drum brakes. I found that Wilwood has a 6 piston caliper and 12" rotor combo that'll work with some 15" wheels so that's the route I went. At the same time, I decided to also replace the rear wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and all brake lines with stainless steel replacements. Everything went smoothly and also perform great. Well worth the effort!
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4488.JPG

The next project on my list was to replace the old and worn out exhaust. I chose the Walker Super Turbo Dynomax mufflers with the 2 1/2" inlet/outlet sizes. I had Batesville House of Mufflers (Batesville, AR) bend up and weld the pipes and also install some cut-outs for future electric units. They were very reasonable and their workmanship was excellent.

IMG_4596.JPG
IMG_4598.JPG
IMG_4599.JPG

I have reached the maximum for the number of photos so I'll begin a new post.

All the things I wish I could do to mine for sure. Looking good!

Nice.. You do, or obviously you don't, know that you CAN respond to your own thread and add the next 10 pictures.. and so on and so on. No need to start new threads over and over..

Nice.. You do, or obviously you don't, know that you CAN respond to your own thread and add the next 10 pictures.. and so on and so on. No need to start new threads over and over..
No sir, I did not know that. I'm fairly new at this and appreciate you telling me so. It would sure have made posting my project thread way easier!! Thank you!!

Auto Transport Service
Back