• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Sport Satellite Grille color

68Satellite440

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the proper paint color of the SS/GTX grille? Ive heard its two different colors.
The car is just a driver, its not a fancy resto job. I just wanted to know if theres a proper color before I paint the entire thing Argent Silver.

I just got done replacing about 5 fins in it and a couple cracks.
My buddy has a 3D printer and was able to copy the fins after I gave him the dimensions. Worked out well. Clamp into place, JB Weld, and plenty of dremel work and a small file.

DB04D2F9-2CC5-470A-8933-190FAE7C5852.jpeg

5B3E1802-7DF2-44C3-BA42-792CDA62E0C3.jpeg

The center fins should be dark argent. Some good pics here:
FOR SALE - 1968 GTX grill - nice condition
Just FYI, I tried the 'dark argent' from a few different sources and ended up going with the one from Herb's as it was was noticeably darker than the others, even though they all made similar claims on correctness...of course your results may vary so it might be worth it to get it from a couple of vendors and pick the one that looks best to you.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the proper paint color of the SS/GTX grille? Ive heard its two different colors.
The car is just a driver, its not a fancy resto job. I just wanted to know if theres a proper color before I paint the entire thing Argent Silver.

I just got done replacing about 5 fins in it and a couple cracks.
My buddy has a 3D printer and was able to copy the fins after I gave him the dimensions. Worked out well. Clamp into place, JB Weld, and plenty of dremel work and a small file.

View attachment 1614063

View attachment 1614064
Can your buddy print up some for sale ?

Dave’s Totally Auto in PA.
Does his business still exist? I do remember the guy saying the best thing that could happen for 60’s-70’s Mopar muscle cars is to crush all the 318 and other similar cars that could be cloned. Probably, no is… the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard a car guy say.

Can your buddy print up some for sale ?
I actually have some extras left over. They aren’t exact matches to the fins, but if you’re willing to take the time on a tedious project, you can make them match. They’re a touch large.

Does his business still exist? I do remember the guy saying the best thing that could happen for 60’s-70’s Mopar muscle cars is to crush all the 318 and other similar cars that could be cloned. Probably, no is… the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard a car guy say.
I’m thinking he is because I talked to someone there last year about argent paint but have to google his number. Agreed a way out there subject but he’s always been a purist and one if the first in the hobby doing concourse restos. A visionary in the hobby

I did my own paint match with just random spray cans because couldnt get argent in finland.. Used grey wrinkle spray, then aluminum and matt black, skiped black for lighter shade
IMG-20230714-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20230717-WA0016.jpg

Totally Auto (the restoration business) sold off the paint business, who kept the name.

Auto Transport Service
Back