• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Sport Satellite.... ?

Cornpatch MO

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
This is what started out as a 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite. I show it in the modified class, because it is. The only thing on it that says Sport Satellite is the emblem on the dash . Modified with other Mopar parts. I have fun with people who figure out what I have done. Based on the 1968 Road Runner we ordered new from the Plymouth dealer. . QQ1 electric blue modified slightly and black vinyl top with Keystone Classic wheels I put on first day it was delivered. But I did this car the way I wanted and easy for the wifey to drive. Power brakes, 6 way power bucket seat , AM FM stock looking radio with " Blue tooth" . And all new air conditioning. The interior is all GTX with wood grain dash and door panels . I was very surprised that at a car show, we won three trophies.

Corning Car Show 2023 (1).jpg

Clarinda Car Show June 2021 #2.jpg

Very clean and a bit familiar looking.

DB 5.JPG

I had a 68 road runner coupe that was dressed out in full 68 GTX trim and no one ever questioned that!!! This was back in the early 80's and it was pretty much a dedicated race car. Got lots of thumbs up and others saying 'nice X' etc

My Sport Satellite had the same trunk finish panel as this one . Did you know there is a difference in the tail light chrome trim between the two ?
I do not know. This car belongs to a buddy that wanted my help with some work on the car.

This is what started out as a 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite. I show it in the modified class, because it is. The only thing on it that says Sport Satellite is the emblem on the dash . Modified with other Mopar parts. I have fun with people who figure out what I have done. Based on the 1968 Road Runner we ordered new from the Plymouth dealer. . QQ1 electric blue modified slightly and black vinyl top with Keystone Classic wheels I put on first day it was delivered. But I did this car the way I wanted and easy for the wifey to drive. Power brakes, 6 way power bucket seat , AM FM stock looking radio with " Blue tooth" . And all new air conditioning. The interior is all GTX with wood grain dash and door panels . I was very surprised that at a car show, we won three trophies.

View attachment 1620560

View attachment 1620561
The Sport Satellite was basically a GTX without the drivetrain and hood in ‘68. In ‘69 and ‘70 they offered 4 door versions. Plymouth did a similar thing with the Duster Twister. It looked like the 340 package.

The Sport Satellite was basically a GTX without the drivetrain and hood in ‘68. In ‘69 and ‘70 they offered 4 door versions. Plymouth did a similar thing with the Duster Twister. It looked like the 340 package.
Pretty much so . GTX had side stripes and the chrome GTX emblem ?

My Sport Satellite had the same trunk finish panel as this one . Did you know there is a difference in the tail light chrome trim between the two ?
I'm not sure about the difference in tail light chrome, but my 68 ss that KD posted above has the Sport Satellite tail finish panel. I like it a lot more than the plainer smooth RR panel. My car fender tag shows that my car was also originally QQ1 blue like the OP. However, when I bought it used locally, the previous owner had removed the vinyl top and rattle canned the entire car in a much different shade of blue, then let it sit outside and oxidize heavily. The body was straight with no damage or rust (California car). So I had it stripped and painted in 1971 B5 Blue (can't recall the alpha numeric code right now). The 71 B5 blue is a bit darker and less electric than the QQ1. I believe QQ1 was the predecessor to B5 and there are around 5 different shades of B5 through the years. I had the 71 B5 blue on another guy's '69 RR and loved it, so painted mine the same, but with clear-coated '69 RR black stripes instead of only the blacked out center section.

The factory '68 Sport Satellite tail panel is identical to the one for the GTX except for the model call-out
on the right side - they both use the same panel with the same two holes for affixing the name on the right
at the end of "PLYMOUTH".
The taillight bezels are also identical between the two.
The (optional) RoadRunner tail panel in '68 is of course different, as are the taillight bezels.
Interior-wise, the Sport Sat is again identical to the GTX short of the callout on the right side dash panel.

I recognize that bandstand just on the south side of the courthouse!!!!! Looks like they've rebuilt the old bandstand....used to hang out there quite a bit on Saturday nights...

Nice lookin car too! I'll bet it was one of a very few Mopars around the area as well!

LOVE THE COLOR SCHEME!!!

Thanks Rick, you are spot on with that location . I added a little more metallic and a bit of Mica to the color mix . In bright sun light it looks a little like B5 and in shade a little darker. Under flouresent light it looks darker with a hint of green !

I recognize that bandstand just on the south side of the courthouse!!!!! Looks like they've rebuilt the old bandstand....used to hang out there quite a bit on Saturday nights...

Nice lookin car too! I'll bet it was one of a very few Mopars around the area as well!

LOVE THE COLOR SCHEME!!!
Reply in just previous Rick's post

Regarding the tail light chrome bezel difference. Altho they are interchangeable the Road Runner- Satellite have a black insert around the back up light. The GTX- Sport Satellite does not have that and I think just a little different shape to match the trunk finish panel . Did anyone notice the call outs on my hood scoops ? I figured I would catch hell on that one LOL

Nice ride,
I have a soft spot for 68 Sport Satellites
my Mom's 1st new car, ordered for delivery from SF Chrysler Plymouth
Nov. of 1967, 1968 Sport Satellite GG1 Dark Green/Racing Green
w/white top & white bucket seat interior/no console, black carpet
383 4bbl 23-slpine A833 4 speed, power steering, power disc. brakes, A/C
dealer installed 3.91:1 Sure-grip
the factory 3.23:1 open diff., was in a box in the trunk,
stepdad Bob, had the dealership also install 4x 15" polished alum. slots
(don't remember the brand, probably Anson or Halibrand)
(IIRC) with Uniroyal's H60/15 back & F60/15 front w/raised white letters
me & Bob got 2 passes to go to the Ronnies Sox classes,
as part of the purchase, I was like 8 y/o
it was more for me than Bob, he was a successful S/S racer...

I ended up owning the car in 1979, when I was 19-20 y/o
I traded & some cash with Bob
my 71 Demon 225 slant/6 3 on the tree (I got in a trade for labor)
& $300 cash for the SS (I overpaid for the time)
& he wanted an economy car, for commuting &
I wanted that SS for my own...
I loved that car...
Drove it for another 10+ years, several mods variations...

Regarding the tail light chrome bezel difference. Altho they are interchangeable the Road Runner- Satellite have a black insert around the back up light. The GTX- Sport Satellite does not have that and I think just a little different shape to match the trunk finish panel . Did anyone notice the call outs on my hood scoops ? I figured I would catch hell on that one LOL
68 RR LL! Surf Turquoise Metallic Poly, rear
RM23 HT with the Decore package

68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #2a DS rear.JPG

68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #3 PS rear.JPG

that's a GREAT looking tail finish panel. Is that original or a reproduction from Classic Auto Air? I wish mine looked that good. When I got my car that tail finish panel had a lot of pitting and flaking so I had it blasted. Now it's a bit too reflective, but the pitting is less visible. I considered getting a repop but they're so darn expensive.

that's a GREAT looking tail finish panel. Is that original or a reproduction from Classic Auto Air? I wish mine looked that good. When I got my car that tail finish panel had a lot of pitting and flaking so I had it blasted. Now it's a bit too reflective, but the pitting is less visible. I considered getting a repop but they're so darn expensive.
Thank you! It is an original that I restored. It was a great core to begin with, so I didn't have to do much but tape it and paint it.

DSC09665.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back