• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 super bee gauges

Dodgerebellion

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
My son has a 1968 super bee all original survivor car. The gauges have never worked accept for the ammeter. This weekend we removed the cluster and tested the fuel, temp and oil gauges. None worked.
We replaced the voltage regulator, voltage limiter for the cluster and replaced all the non working gauges with working originals. Put the cluster in started the car and they all work, even the clock. Then when I turn on the headlight switch the gauges slowly fall all the way down. Turn it off and they go back to reading.
Any ideas on this.

My son has a 1968 super bee all original survivor car. The gauges have never worked accept for the ammeter. This weekend we removed the cluster and tested the fuel, temp and oil gauges. None worked.
We replaced the voltage regulator, voltage limiter for the cluster and replaced all the non working gauges with working originals. Put the cluster in started the car and they all work, even the clock. Then when I turn on the headlight switch the gauges slowly fall all the way down. Turn it off and they go back to reading.
Any ideas on this.
You are losing the ground to the circuit board.

Make a ground with two eye terminals. One to the spot shown in my photo and the other to a clean shinny spot on the dash frame.

100_0564cc.jpg

I am grounding the circuit board like your diagram but I’m not having any success.
Then your missing something. The dash lights are taking the ground away from the limiter. You need to double check your ground. Run a jumper from a known good ground to the cluster. Its a simple system,

Then your missing something. The dash lights are taking the ground away from the limiter. You need to double check your ground. Run a jumper from a known good ground to the cluster. Its a simple system,
I’ll try again tonight.

You can apply a ground to the limiter case and see what that does. Doing that bypass the circuit board which could be bad.
Applied the ground to the limiter and they didn’t drop. Bad circuit board?

Applied the ground to the limiter and they didn’t drop. Bad circuit board?
With a solid ground and as long as there is battery voltage to the limiter I suspect the limiter has issues. By putting the ground to the limiter you have eliminated the ground through the board. Does not make sense as the only thing shared between the two circuits is the ground.

Circuit board pins are known for getting old and having issues. Limiter needs a solid ground and solid keyed 12 volts. The limiter might be losing its ground between the case and the internal board. So the dash lights can still rob the ground from the limiter if it is in fact losing the ground internally. Like I said above try another limiter.

Circuit board pins are known for getting old and having issues. Limiter needs a solid ground and solid keyed 12 volts. The limiter might be losing its ground between the case and the internal board. So the dash lights can still rob the ground from the limiter if it is in fact losing the ground internally. Like I said above try another limiter.
I think I’m going to get a new circuit board with the built in limiter.
Circuit board is the only part of the equation I haven’t replaced and if the limiter has issues it takes care of that also.

I think I’m going to get a new circuit board with the built in limiter.
Circuit board is the only part of the equation I haven’t replaced and if the limiter has issues it takes care of that also.
Thats what I used. But guess what? The first one I bought was defective. Second one works perfect. Point is your new limiter could have issues.

Thats what I used. But guess what? The first one I bought was defective. Second one works perfect. Point is your new limiter could have issues.
I’ll keep you posted.
A couple pics of his ‘68 bee.
FEE0393E-2447-48F4-AFD9-66FD548911BE.jpegE7890A7C-9D3D-49AB-8C01-83BAAEB44768.jpeg

I finally received the circuit board and installed it last week.
Everything is now working as it should.
Thanks for your help.

I finally received the circuit board and installed it last week.
Everything is now working as it should.
Thanks for your help.
I’m having some gauge issues also. Where did you get a new circuit board with a built in limiter?

Auto Transport Service
Back