• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 383 timing

paul1969cars

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi

What should the ignition timing be set for a stock 383.
The service manual says 7.5
People say between 8-10
And my distributor guy say it will run better at 12
All I did was add peronix to a stock car.

Keep advancing it until you get pinging/detonation. Then back it down a couple degrees. You will also have to limit the total to 34-35 as you are doing this.

Keep advancing it until you get pinging/detonation. Then back it down a couple degrees. You will also have to limit the total to 34-35 as you are doing this.
If it's stock set it to stock. Nothing has changed in that arena in the past 60 years.
But like H2E said, if you really want to let your hair down, bump it a couple degrees.

If it's stock set it to stock. Nothing has changed in that arena in the past 60 years.
But like H2E said, if you really want to let your hair down, bump it a couple degrees.
Except for todays $hitty gas....

1st loosen the dist. hold down just enough so you can turn it,
but not too loose
(disconnect the vacuum advance hose plug the spot off the carb/hose)
start it then set the idle screw up to like 1500-1800rpm
an rpm before the centrifugal advance kicks in
use a vacuum gauge if you have one too, on manifold vacuum to read correctly

turn the distributor until it gets to the highest 'vacuum &/or RPM'
back it off just a tad, check with a timing light, see where it's at
you should be relatively close, for initial timing, your specific engines' needs,
for what your engine actually needs or likes
(every engine, no matter if 'stock' or not, will like a specific timing, distr. phasing,
camshaft grinds even stock + or - 2*- 4* easily & chains or timing gearsets differences
head gaskets thickness/final compression, valve preload, combustion camber changes
altitude, relative air density, carburation tuning etc.
all can & will contribute to 'what it actually needs', not just by the book
)

then set the throttle at like 2,800-3,000rpm, look & see what the total timing is
with the vacuum advance disconnected, it should be like about 34*- 36*, total
maybe 38*- 40* (without vacuum adv.) if it needs that much, especially if at altitudes
*** see below... then return the idle screw to like 750-850rpm,
after the VA is reconnected
drive it & check it out, you may have to bump it back a degree or 2
if you hear pinging especially on a partial throttle load,
bad or old gas can cause that too

*** put the vacuum hose back into the Vacuum advance
with vacuum adv. is fully activated 'at rpm' like 3,000-ish rpm,
it will be like maybe 45*-50* atdc probably,
unless it's limited in some way, but that's not stock if it is

that's how I've done it for decades, never fails

anyway good luck

good luck

Last edited:
The car companies have to be be conservative because they are unaware of the final use for the car [ go to Sun church or tow a heavy load ].

So, yes, 12* if you are in the first category.

@LSU Tiger, you mind explaining the big red "X"? Do you really think todays gas is as good as it was in 1970?

I would really like to see someone set timing at 7.5 !!!!

I’m running my at 38 degrees total, initial is 13 degrees full advance is in at 2000 rpm’s runs great on the crappy pump gas.

Hi

What should the ignition timing be set for a stock 383.
The service manual says 7.5
People say between 8-10
And my distributor guy say it will run better at 12
All I did was add peronix to a stock car.
You need to power time the engine. Un hook vacuum advance. Bring rpm up to point where all mechanical advance is applied, about 3,000 rpm, set timing to 36 -38 degrees total timing. This works easiest if you have a advance retard dial timing light. If you have a simple timing light, you will need to mark the balancer at max advance. Let it come back down to idle and see where it is at idle. That should be your idle setting. Then maybe retard just a little at a time if it pings. With vacuum advance hooked up on slight throttle it may have 40 to 50 degrees of timing for best fuel economy.

Auto Transport Service
Back