• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 1969 440 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroked408

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Up for sale is this rebuilt 440 engine. I acquired this last year in a deal with project car. We went with a different motor combo and I realized that I'm not going to use this one anytime soon. If you're in this hobby, you know how long it takes to get an engine built, machine work, etc. Most shops are a year out. This could be the best deal around right now if you're in a hurry. Send me a PM with your number or I can give you my contact information to discuss.

The person I purchased it from built the engine himself, was a mechanic owned his own shop and had built other engines as well. He built it around 2012 and it has not been fired up since.

I DO NOT HAVE ANY PAPERWORK FOR IT. He said he follow/copied a 440 build from Engine Masters magazine .

The name of the article is " Building Mopar's 440 on a Budget". Steve Dulcich (RoadKill, Engine Masters) wrote the article and did the build. The issue was from Winter 2010.

Click on this link to read the article about the build and all of the specs you want to know and ask about.

http://rockettbrand.com/downloads/a...nge-Engine Masters by Popular Hot Rodding.pdf

Again, the builder said he copied the build to the tee and used the same parts (cam specs, cranks, etc.) as you see in the article.

Key components:

- 1969 440 block, casting number 253643-8 date code 8-9-1969
- Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads $1800
- Edlebrock Performer aluminum intake 71933 (black powder coated) $475
- Performance Quotient aluminum rocker assembly PQx 1.6 $520
- Moroso 7 qt. deep center sump pan
- Holley 4150 carb 750 cfm p/n 4779-9
- ARP hardware/bolts/fasteners

** I will include a brand new Allstar Performance rolling dolly for this motor. ** The one you see in the pictures is an old one that I had received with the engine last year, that's not the one I'm selling.

Located in San Jose, CA
$6900

440 engine 1.jpg

440 engine 2.jpg

440 engine 3.jpg

440 engine 4.jpg

440 casting number.jpg

440 carb intake 1.jpg

440 eng rockers 1.jpg

440 eng rockers 2.jpg

440 eng rockers 3.jpg

Stamping on the top F 440 9 26 HP. The other number on side above the oil pan rail you can see in the pictures.

440 HP stamp.jpg

440 VIN stamp.jpg

440 HP stamp pad.jpg

Information from a member on FABO:

The motor is a 1970 HP motor and I think the Vin reads 0G122158. If so, it is out of a Charger R/T, it was scheduled September 13 - 13 days before this engine was built.

It has a Performer RPM, not a regular Performer. The RPM is a much better intake in my opinion.

** Updated price and details 6/25/2022 NEW PRICE $6400 obo

Opened up the engine for further inspection to help answer some questions.
- USED .030 Nylen/Badger cast flat top pistons (p/n B-278). Typically used in street/stock replacement applications
- Stock forged crankshaft, .030 over part number 220158
- Stock connecting rods
- Double roller timing chain
- Compression ratio unknown but 1970 440 engines were 9.5:1
- .030 stock forged crank (casting # 2206158)

Additionally, I've been asked what the estimated horsepower. Honestly I don't know but from the article that this engine build was copied from, here are the horsepower numbers that Steve Dulcich achieved (see pictures from article)

440 030 piston top.jpg

440 Badger piston B278.jpg

440 crank 030.jpg

440 crank 2206158.jpg

440 crank oil pickup.jpg

440 double roller chain.jpg

440 piston wall.jpg

440 piston wall 2.jpg

440 hp article.jpg

440 hp dyno results.jpg

What was the name of the machine shop that built the engine? How long was the engine sitting?

directconnection- I hadn't measured it before I put the heads back on.

70sixpkrt- It wasn't built at a machine shop. Not sure if you had a chance to read my description at the top. But to clarify, the guy who built it had his own auto repair shop in Bakersfield about 10-12 years ago, which has since closed down. He's a drag racer too and has built several engines on his own. This engine was put together about 10 years ago, stored indoors, turned a couple of times each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back