• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 am/fm reproduction radio

Crash4wd

Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
Searched the forum and couldn't find any info was wondering if any one has the repro thumb wheel am fm radio they sell for 600 I was just wondering how it works

I have one in each of my B-bodies and haven't had any problems with them........knock on wood.

Ok thanks I was just curious 600 is a lot for Chinese radio and didn't wanna buy junk

Ok thanks I was just curious 600 is a lot for Chinese radio and didn't wanna buy junk

You sure don't get much for the money, that's for sure. I wish someone else would reproduce them to get a little competitive pricing going on.

I'm not sure what your after; function or form. The original AM thumb wheel had been pulled from my car who knows how many years ago. I thought the AM/FM reproductions were a bit too steep, so I opted for what came with the car when it was made. I picked up an original AM Chrysler Solid State from eBay for about $50.00. The FM band wasn't worth hundreds of extra dollars in my opinion. Of course I was only going for the original look, rather than sound. I can't hear anything with the engine running anyway!

I see they are smaller too easier fit? especially with A/C cars. I talked to Tony and Tony's mopar parts east coast and he wants $600+ for an OEM one working. kinda makes you think well how much authenticity do you have to have?

i had my thumbwheel radio rebuilt, and opted for a nice am, fm cd player in place of it for now. original radio is stored away. also found a set of cheap speakers for the rear package tray and under dash that fit perfect from a local auto parts store.

My buddy bought the Retro radio for his Cougar and somehow managed to kill three of them. They did warranty them but something is clearly wrong somewhere. When I heard about this my initial thought was a speaker impedance mismatch because he was using the factory door speakers. This radio should accept 4 or 8 Ohm speakers but low power amps (as what may be found in a 1970 car) typically require high impedance speakers since there isn't much available current to drive them.

So if I understand this correctly, you are saying this radio has a low power output ? Would it not sound as good as a new modern head unit ?

Check out my post in the Interior section on Retro Sounds new Rodondo line for late 60's & early 70's Mopars.....Look like the factory units but with USB, blue tooth and aux out jacks for feeding amplifiers.

Auto Transport Service
Back