• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 charger electrical issues

paul1969cars

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
hi

I put my car back together and I have a few issues I cant figure out

1. My wiper fluid motor works if i put power to the motor. and I checked the switch and power is only on one side. When i press it power doesn't switch over. So the switch is bad. Do people open these and fix or clean them or just get a repro?

2. My dome lights dont work. I dont have power in either the yellow or pink wire that goes up to dome light. Both wire are carrying ground as I tested that. So Im confused. Its a simple system. but not working. I cleaned out the door pins and tested them so they work

3. For the flashers or hazard switch. You can actually install the wiring harness behind the switch 1 of two ways and it has to be one way other wise I believe you will short out switch. Is it possible to short the switch out but putting in the harness upside down? I tried it both ways and its not working. I think its the switch. When I tested the switch i didn't get continuity through any of the prongs while i was switching the switch on and off on my bench. See attached picture. On bottom of pic I circled the back of the flasher wiring. This was its orientation when it was working. so the double green wire and double tan wire is facing up or the dash and the white and red single wires is facing down. In the wiring diagram for this car. Its shown the other way around. Dont know why. Can any send me a picture of the correct working orientation of the wiring harness behind this flasher switch please.

IMG_0863 - Copy.jpg

4. There are two wires under dash with stock female spade connectors just below the flasher switch. see this picture attached. The one Im holding is a tan or brown I guess. It has constant power. Dont know if this has anything to do witch my issues and I dont know wher it connects to. Tje other one is a yellow double wire and its factory taped to harness. Dont know if that was for an option I may not have.

IMG_1785.jpg

Thanks

1. My wiper fluid motor works if i put power to the motor. and I checked the switch and power is only on one side. When i press it power doesn't switch over. So the switch is bad. Do people open these and fix or clean them or just get a repro?

Wiper switches that are classified as "rebuilt" can cost a fortune. I've seen them well north of $200+.

I saw this video on YouTube with a couple good old boys "rebuilding" theirs.

This is all anyone who claims to rebuild them will be doing, so do it yourself.

#2 I think the pink wire should have power in it for the dome light and all the yellow wires go someplace that ground to complete the circuit to turn the light on like the door way switches

#4 the grey wire is a power wire for the dash clock as it always needs power to keep it running

Wiper switches that are classified as "rebuilt" can cost a fortune. I've seen them well north of $200+.

I saw this video on YouTube with a couple good old boys "rebuilding" theirs.

This is all anyone who claims to rebuild them will be doing, so do it yourself.

so for the flasher switch. I tested it and there was no continuity at progs in the on or off position. I opened it and the grease was black and gummy. I cleaned it up with electric cleaner solution and then added dielectric grease. I closed it up and tested it on bench and it worked perfectly.

I reinstalled it and the flashers still dont work as they should. with the key in the off position the flashers dont work. With the key in the on position, the flashers dont work.
If the signal light is on left or right and then you turn on flashers, then they work really quickly. I swaped out the flasher with an after marker one and nothing changed. Some thing is wrong. Cant figure it out.

#2 I think the pink wire should have power in it for the dome light and all the yellow wires go someplace that ground to complete the circuit to turn the light on like the door way switches

#4 the grey wire is a power wire for the dash clock as it always needs power to keep it running
I realize that the pink wire should have power but it doesn't. Is there a fuse for interior lights that may be burned out? I know there aren't many fuses

so for the flasher switch. I tested it and there was no continuity at progs in the on or off position. I opened it and the grease was black and gummy. I cleaned it up with electric cleaner solution and then added dielectric grease. I closed it up and tested it on bench and it worked perfectly.

I reinstalled it and the flashers still dont work as they should. with the key in the off position the flashers dont work. With the key in the on position, the flashers dont work.
If the signal light is on left or right and then you turn on flashers, then they work really quickly. I swaped out the flasher with an after marker one and nothing changed. Some thing is wrong. Cant figure it out.

You have rebuilt the emergency flasher switch, so you have 1/2 the battle conquered.

This would be a good time to acquaint yourself with your FSM for wiring diagrams.

Flashers or signals working "quickly" is often a sign of burnt out bulbs or an incorrect relay causing hyper flashing if LED's were installed or possibly other issues.

You also should have a turn signal and emergency flasher relay, one or both could be bad. I know on mine I found them up under the glove box.

They sometimes look like these:

513Q7W16yIL._SL1500_.jpg
710YinZJ8DL._SL1500_.jpg

Think you will have to follow the pink wire back to see if it is hooked to anything because if the head lights work they get power from the same source as the dome light power wire

Think you will have to follow the pink wire back to see if it is hooked to anything because if the head lights work they get power from the same source as the dome light power wire
I saw that the 20 amp fuse was blown. The headlights were not on same circuit

I replace the fuse and the dome light and the flasher now work

Thanks for your help

Happy New year

Auto Transport Service
Back