• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger RT Radiator Question

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
So, I am in process of having what I thought to be my original radiator restored at Glen Ray. As I am speaking with Bob S, he is asking me a few questions, such as stamping and date info etc. I tell him, what the car is, also a 4-speed dana car and the top number on the radiator is 2949 055. Bob informs me this is odd to his experience, if it is an A33 car. My trim tag does reflect A33, I then refer to my build sheet and the third line down reflects a 55 under RAD and up on line two it reflects a 56 for AXLE. In addition, and I am clearly no expert, down below on line four it reflects a 596 under AXLE.
My question, for those much more knowledgeable than myself with these cars/build sheets and codes, is this the correct radiator reflected from my build sheet? Is it an anomaly for a 1969 Charger RT with an axle package to have this radiator in it?

As always, I appreciate your comments and expertise. Thank you

55 under rad is for the 055
The 26" 2949055 was available on 1969 B Body's with 383, 440, 426, MT/AT and with and w/o A/C

A33 cars have:
3.54 ratio Dana 60 sure grip,
Maximum cooling
7 blade torque drive cooling fan
and Hemi Suspension

A33 was only available w/426 04 440 with 4 speed
N/A w/AirCon

Thank you for responding, but I am still confused. My trim tag reflects A33, and my build sheet reflects 2949055, correct me if I am wrong, but this radiator is not considered max cooling, correct?
My car has the correct dana rearend, 3.54 gears with tag still on the case, 7 blade torque drive cooling fan and hemi suspension, but the 055 is perplexing to me.

The car was built from that broadcast sheet. So if that sheet says 55 than that is the radiator it got. No better proof than that.

Thank you for responding, but I am still confused. My trim tag reflects A33, and my build sheet reflects 2949055, correct me if I am wrong, but this radiator is not considered max cooling, correct?
My car has the correct dana rearend, 3.54 gears with tag still on the case, 7 blade torque drive cooling fan and hemi suspension, but the 055 is perplexing to me.

I'm surprised Bob would say that. I'm pretty sure he knows the 055 radiator is correct for A33.

MAX COOL package with 054 radiator came with packages like A31 (3:91 gears), A12/A32/A34 (4:10 gears), A35 trailer towing, and *K vinned 'cop cars'.

69_A31_WK41_600.jpg
69_A32_A33_600.jpg
69_A35_A36_600.jpg

Thank you for the reply's, I am sure Bob is/was 100% on point, I am sure I somehow confused the issue at hand. I appreciate the knowledge and moving forward!! Gracias

I just wanted to provide a follow-up to this thread. I just received my radiator back from Glen-Ray...... WOW, is all I can say! What an outstanding job! I know some may believe the cost is a little high, but I will tell you, it is worth the money 100%. I'll try and get some pics on here soon before I install it back into the car. Kudos to Bob for an OUTSTANDING job and you cannot find a nicer guy to work with.

I just wanted to provide a follow-up to this thread. I just received my radiator back from Glen-Ray...... WOW, is all I can say! What an outstanding job! I know some may believe the cost is a little high, but I will tell you, it is worth the money 100%. I'll try and get some pics on here soon before I install it back into the car. Kudos to Bob for an OUTSTANDING job and you cannot find a nicer guy to work with.
They did my radiator and I totally agree with your review.

I agree, Bob has done several for me as well. He does nice work.

I agree, Bob has done several for me as well. He does nice work.
What coolant are you running in it? I have aluminum heads with my build and really want to keep this new radiator operating efficiently and correctly. Thank you

You say a little high in cost, your killing me:lol:

What coolant are you running in it? I have aluminum heads with my build and really want to keep this new radiator operating efficiently and correctly. Thank you
Old school standard green.

Evans Waterless Coolant.

I run the modern Mopar purple coolant designed for the aluminum engines. Costs a few more bucks, but how often do we change the stuff really. I must add that both my cars had the entire system drained on fresh engines when I did the change over to the purple coolant.

Auto Transport Service
Back