• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Coronet - Ol' Drippy

young99

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
I am a long time reader of these boards and finally landed my first Mopar Project car back in December (2014). Its a 1969 Dodge Coronet that I am building for racing on road courses such as USCA GTV class. This entire process is very new to me and very eye opening.

I'm taking suggestions for a good name , so far I call it Ol' Drippy

Here is a few starting pictures.

Attachments

• P1000287.jpg
    P1000287.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • P1000290.jpg
    P1000290.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,071
Man I think that car would be awesome restored to original!

sweet ride tho

image.jpgWow. Sounds ambitious. Nice car. Good luck. Here is my similar ride. Call it "Drippy 2" as the TKO has dripped from day one.

Start of the Engine bay

Cant you just smell that old carpet....lol it smells bad

This was the driver header I removed. It was the biggest PITA i have ever messed with. It felt like the car was built around this header.

No clue what type these are.

- - - Updated - - -

After a long debate I went with Doug headers. These guys went in like butter and really like them.

Drive Side new header (I need to get a better picture)

Passenger side.

I also installed a Mini started when re-installing the headers. I will have to get a pick of it. I have a heat shield Ill be installing soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a number from the engine encase someone would like to see.

The old transmission pan and the strip down of the suspension parts.

I decided to keep the 727 in the car for now. I will be getting a manual setup installed once I find one I can afford

Picked up a B&M aluminum pan.

Filter installed.

New Pan installed.

Congratulations on your find. That's going to be a great project. I'll be following along.

I have updated the radiator to a 26" Aluminum, added a fan shroud, and painted the engine.

Added a Holley 750CFM Radiator, and installed the Spectre 29603 Dual Line Fuel Hose.

- - - Updated - - -

Put on some Bassett 15" wheels and Cooper Cobra wheels for now. Front is 235/60-15, Back is 295/50-15

Picked up a 4 speed im trying to id it. Bell housing casting says 69 with number 2892626

CAM00852.jpg

CAM00853.jpg

CAM00854.jpg

I like the car as-is, especially now that that a 4-speed transmission has been acquired.

I plan to keep the color as is white with black top. I am going to add a six pack hood. its been ordered just waiting on it to come in.

- - - Updated - - -

I was cleaning and painting the transmission and really screwed my back up. I'm 33 with disc degeneration , bulging disc, and constant sciatic nerve pain. Moving this thing around by myself was a bad idea.

Anyways I have put in a new fuel tank and grinded, cleaned, and painted the straps.

A few weeks back I cleaned, coated my trunk with por15 + por15 primer+ and gave it a quick painting. It will be getting painted again once my paint gun comes in.

Removed the seats all that nasty carpet and started cleaning the floor, removed loose old seam sealer and added new. The floors were in decent shape just very dirty.

I am now attempting to put in a Autowire Power Plus 20 wiring harness. Never done a wiring harness before so this is interesting so far. With my back being on the fritz it a slow process.

CAM00873.jpg
CAM00849.jpg
P1000379.JPG

I have updated the radiator to a 26" Aluminum, added a fan shroud, and painted the engine.

Added a Holley 750CFM Radiator, and installed the Spectre 29603 Dual Line Fuel Hose.

- - - Updated - - -

Put on some Bassett 15" wheels and Cooper Cobra wheels for now. Front is 235/60-15, Back is 295/50-15

Hello young 99

Possible would be it that you give me the quotations of your wheel rims

Front is 235/60-15 rims 15 " x 7 / 4,5 Backspace ?
Back is 295/50-15 rims 15 " x 8 / ? Backspace ? :eusa_think: :dontknow:

Thank you in advance

Joboo :icon_cool:

That car looks bad as it is! I've always liked those black Nascar wheels, looks all business....... Wow, what a nice clean interior to start with, those dashes don't ever seam to be in any kind of condition. Nice score.

Hello young 99

Possible would be it that you give me the quotations of your wheel rims

Front is 235/60-15 rims 15 " x 7 / 4,5 Backspace ?
Back is 295/50-15 rims 15 " x 8 / ? Backspace ? :eusa_think: :dontknow:

Thank you in advance

Joboo :icon_cool:

These are the wheels 15" X 8" /4 " backspace -13mm offset (DOT approved)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsw-d58df4

Tires are 295/50-15 COOPER COBRA Back and 235/60-15 COOPER COBRA Front

I almost forgot. If you get these wheels you will need to get the correct Lugs. Regular Lugs will not work, you will need Conical seat - 45 degree lugs.
I believe these are the lugs I got http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all44102/overview/ . I picked them up locally from a race shop but was Allstar brand.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been burning alot of hours but not much to show for it :(

I got the automatic pedals out of the car and attached the 4 speed setup. Getting this out of a car with the dash still in was a PITA. Putting it back in almost as bad. I cleaned the assembly with my Phosphoric Acid concoction then painted them. You can also see the tangle of wires in the background. I have installed a AutoWire Power Plus 20 wiring harness. Never wired a car and thought i was doing very well till I got to the end and had a little ball of wires. Took a long long time to get them somewhat untangled.

CAM00898.jpg

Removed the Power Booster and firewall plate. Put in the Manual push rod, manual brake firewall plate, and reattached the master cylinder with proportion valve. Also put in some Auto Meter Black Gauges and wired them up

CAM00900.jpg

The US Body Fiberglass hood came in and really psyched to get this installed. Again this is something I have never done before so will be a learning curve for me. If anyone has any pointers on cutting the intake holes, prepping, and painting it would be greatly appreciated.

CAM00891.jpg

I still have to wire in the Alternator back to the battery, wire the 2 speed wipers, and wire the power side of the brake pedal.

That is one cool project, ole drippy is going to be stand up dressed for road fun and looking fine!!!

Spectre Performance has supplied me with some really cool stuff to use on the car. I installed the Magna Kool hose kit, Fuel line filter, water neck, dip stick, oil breather. Once I get the new hood cut and fitted I will add a better air intake.

CAM00908.jpg

I purchased a new Accel Super Stock Coil, soldered and shrink wrapped what I could on wiring. I also got 2 racing seats to install once I figure out how to handle the brackets. I more than likely will be adding a Pertonix Flame Thrower Distributor to get rid of the wiring mess. Still need to wire the 2 speed wiper switch and wiper fluid pump switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back