• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 dodge charger 528 hemi

wayne406

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
I built a 69 charger and also a 528 hemi to put into it with a new mopar performance cross ram. Found out i will not be able to close the hood unless i cut a large hole in it and put on a big hood scoop. Don't want to do that. Does anyone have any information on how to install this engine and cross ram without doing the hood scoop? Does anybody make air cleaners low profile that would work?

I know the newer MP X-Rams have the raised intake surface. You could look for an original intake, which has the lower surface, but I believe you would still need to cut the hood, but a lower scoop height would work. There are several for sale here on the site.
Hemi71x has some great items up for sale...

Last edited:
Buy a Glass hood and chop it up! I wouldn't cut up a steel one.

I built a 69 charger and also a 528 hemi to put into it with a new mopar performance cross ram. Found out i will not be able to close the hood unless i cut a large hole in it and put on a big hood scoop. Don't want to do that. Does anyone have any information on how to install this engine and cross ram without doing the hood scoop? Does anybody make air cleaners low profile that would work?
Just take some of the money you kept from me and fix it!

Depending on how much clearance you need, you could put in 1" spacers between the frame and K frame. This would drop the engine an inch. You could also use a front and mid-plate elimating the motor mounts to drop it some more with some custom mounting lowering the engine with the front and mid plates.

I love the cross ram always have and i have a factory inline intake but i wanted to use it for a 71 cuda with shaker hood. Also when i purchased the engine it came with the new intake. Thanks for your replies

Just take some of the money you kept from me and fix it!

48E57999-D02D-4CBC-8872-9824B39FCFB4.gif
A2BEE94E-B20F-47C7-8E35-03B5D04B9987.gif

Don;t think there is any practical way to get a Xram under the hood. Think the MP manifold is an inch taller than 64/65 Xram. Had to cut my hood. 66 Satellite.
fsat1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back