• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger Restoration

John I don't believe I have come across a repro A pillar, I have a firewall, cowl and comeplete window frame that's pretty decent. I was going to use it but when I got the front clip it was a no brainer to use it all as an assembly.
Thanks pat, i've decided i'm going to try and salvage what i have. A few ppl seen them and thought i was just to fussy lol. but i just dont want to see a spec of rust on this car when its done. Mine looked decent from the outside, but it was a different story when i opened them up and was able to see inside.

So here was removing the old inner cowl

DSCF4601.jpg
DSCF4604.jpg
DSCF4607.jpg

The outside of the a-pillars should clean up nice, but they are fairly rusty up inside which i cannot reach. so we came up with kind of an odd solution.

DSCF4609.jpg
DSCF4610.jpg
DSCF4612.jpg
DSCF4613.jpg
DSCF4617.jpg
DSCF4619.jpg

So i took a rusty sample and cut it into 2 pieces and soaked one in vinegar because i heard it will break down the rust, and the other one in wheel acid, because i have a ton of it...
Vinegar would work but it would take a very long time.
The wheel acid straight(not diluted) literally stripped the rust in about an hour. see picture.
so thats what i want to use. leave over night and it should strip every ounce of rust.
Notice in the pic, even though the metal is very rusty you can see from the side profile that most of the thickness of metal is still very solid/shiny.

DSCF4629.jpg
DSCF4630.jpg
DSCF4631.jpg
DSCF4638.jpg

So then came my epic fail...lol tried to bag and seal the end so i could literally fill up the entire a-pillar with acid with a jerry rigged funnel some air fittings and a drinking straw from my lunch. The metal was to sharp and when the bag got heavy it started piercing through.... half a roll of tuck tape later. trying to plug the holes..i admitted defeat. We laughed for the better part of the day from our stupidity and there is still vinegar all over the place.
So i just got a bucket and filled it with acid/submerged what i could, to see if its going to work..then i will figure a better way to plug the end and get farther up.

DSCF4633.jpg
DSCF4636.jpg
DSCF4637.jpg
DSCF4639.jpg
DSCF4640.jpg

Prior to that, we got the new cowl, Door hinge pillar and right lower cowl mocked up, i'm happy with the fitment after some tweaking. waiting to get the firewall later this week to mock that up again this.
I found it odd that when you have the side cowl on..you cant access the upper bolt for the hinge..ill have to cut a larger opening.

DSCF4620.jpg
DSCF4621.jpg
DSCF4624.jpg

Wow! you are doing a great job. It amazes me how far and how much you have taken away and what you can do to rebuild it.
I am enjoying learning from your posts.

I was very happy with the results from my bucket of wheel acid. it consumed every once of rust...now theres a decent size hole in the pillar though. thinking i can fix it.

I need to come up with an idea of how to essentially plug the end of the A-pillar so i can fill the whole thing up and eliminate any rust inside..anyone have a suggestion of what to plug the end with that the acid won't eat through?

DSCF4641.jpg
DSCF4642.jpg

I'm now soaking the other side over night

DSCF4649.jpg

I was able to make up the patch on the other inner panel today as well. The bead roller couldn't put a sharp enough bead on it as i would like, prob cause the metal was maybe a little to thick for it. It turned out okay though...just need put in the lower straight piece.

DSCF4643.jpg
DSCF4644.jpg
DSCF4645.jpg
DSCF4648.jpg

Great job you are doing there. I think I may need to take my '68 apart as much as you have so thanks for sharing your build with us as it gives me a little more confidence to tackle mine.

Great job you are doing there. I think I may need to take my '68 apart as much as you have so thanks for sharing your build with us as it gives me a little more confidence to tackle mine.
Thanks Matt, I'll be following along with your project as well. I think our cars are in very similar conditions lol. One spot weld at a time tho! lol

Wow! Your doing a great job on the charger. I wouldnt worry about what others say about building a 318 car. You are going to have a 69 charger that is like new when your finished and that will make it all worth it regardless of the numbers.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back