• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 gtx carpet installation (acc brand)

minnesota guy

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Installing my ACC brand carpet in the 69 GTX. 2008 carpet I got from Hardens for 89.00 on special. Laid the 2 pieces out. I have center console. No holes cut in carpet. Do you need to trim much where the 2 pcs overlap in the console area?

What is the order process for installation? does driver side overlap passenger side or passenger overlap driver side?

Looks like a rough fit at this time. I hope not a lot of trimming?

I have done many...best thing is leave it out in the sun and warm it up, it lays much better when warm. Don't trim anything until it is fit into the car. I put everything back in, console, seats and belts then trim the excess. The capet should overlap from door to door or accross the car.
Do NOT use a drill to make the holes for the seat bolt holes..that will ruin the carpet, I always use a knife.
AL

I have done many...best thing is leave it out in the sun and warm it up, it lays much better when warm. Don't trim anything until it is fit into the car. I put everything back in, console, seats and belts then trim the excess. The capet should overlap from door to door or accross the car.
Do NOT use a drill to make the holes for the seat bolt holes..that will ruin the carpet, I always use a knife.
AL

Great advice. Especially not using a drill for the holes! Using a good utility knife and cutting an "X" is soooo much easier.

As Ram250098 stated, the overlap is front to back, with the front section laid out first. So, back overlaps front. I've seen carpets which were laid out opposite of this and it's pretty ugly. The seam should rest under the front seats, not behind them.

I used an old soldering iron to burn through the bolt holes while the carpet was laying in the car. It made it easier to correctly locate where I need to make my hole cuts. Not sure how safe that was but nothing caught on fire.

This carpet runs as a drivers side section and a passenger side section. (north to south layout) It goes the "long way" and meets at the console area. I still suppose the driver side over laps passenger side?

- - - Updated - - -

I will look at it again tonight...I know normal course is front section and rear section....I looked at another GTX interior...I must have it in sideways!! Dumkopf me!

This carpet runs as a drivers side section and a passenger side section. (north to south layout) It goes the "long way" and meets at the console area. I still suppose the driver side over laps passenger side?

Well that is a new one on me...never seen or heard of that before..but if it works..it works..good luck with the install
AL

I had it in sideways before..."Seems I made a small mistake"...I feel Like Oliver Hardy when he made a mistake.

IMG_0020 (Large).jpgYes never seen side to side layout. The rear section gets laid first and the front section overlaps the rear section, no other proper way. The heel pad should spell a starting location for you and then adjust a little here and there.
A 69 GTX would have the gas pedal bolted through the edge of the heel parts_06_l.jpgpad.
Ron

IMG_0020 (Large).jpg parts_06_l.jpg

I got it in this weekend. Cuts look similar around the console shifting area. That was the biggest pain. I cut my carpet around and under the foot throttle so I dont get hang ups. Thanks for the pictures

I used an old soldering iron to burn through the bolt holes while the carpet was laying in the car. It made it easier to correctly locate where I need to make my hole cuts. Not sure how safe that was but nothing caught on fire.

This is actually a better way to make the holes.

Not only does it make a nice round hole in the right area, the melted edges prevent fraying or snagging on the bolt threads.

Resurrecting an old thread here. I am installing new carpet in my 69 RR this weekend. This thread is very helpful, but one more question....what is the best tool for the actual cutting/trimming of the carpet? Just a utility knife? Or is there something better?

Most anything should work, but I used one like this.............because I had it laying around since I inherited it from my dad.

038548992891.jpg

I liked the large utility knife. Fitting slicing and dicing for the roll cage. I also request UNtrimmed as I prefer the carpet go further up the fire wall so you can't see the top of the carpet from the back window.

5.19.12 007.jpg 5.19.12 008.jpg 5.19.12 009.jpg 5.19.12 010.jpg 5.19.12 035.jpg 5.19.12 036.jpg 5.19.12 037.jpg 5.19.12 038.jpg 5.19.12 041.jpg 5.19.12 042.jpg

Does the carpet go under the door Sill plates. Also the plastic trim that is on the side of the rear door panels. Anyone have pics of how the carpet lays . Does the plastic trim sho all the way or does the carpet kind of go over the bottom of the trim. Any info thanks

I use something similar, except I heat the end of a larger screwdriver and it makes the perfect circle holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back