• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner brake light on dash

zflam33

Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
The brake idiot light is staying on on my 1969 Road Runner. I have disconnected the wire to the parking brake and to the distribution block but the light is still staying on. I tested continuity to ground on the disconnected wires and they were grounded, which is why the light is staying on I guess. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Thanks!

Having just rewired (almost done) my 1968 Dodge A100, I can tell from this vehicle, that the 'Brake sentinel light' is fed directly from the Ammeter and passes through a terminal on the Ignition terminal block. Now it may be different on the passenger cars, but I would think that Ma Mopar would keep some degree of uniformity.

Have you had a look at your ignition switch yet?

Actually, it seems the 69 RR is fed from the 12V regulator, then to the round multi-pin connector on the back of the dash cluster, before exiting to the engine by via Terminal 'W' on the bulkhead connector.

1696635318260.png

1696635366662.png

1696635447594.png

A FSM complete with wiring diagrams will be your best friend.

Wire is grounded for some odd reason. Either pinched somewhere or a screw could be run into the harness. Start by unplugging the one section of the bulkhead that the brake valve wire is on.

Wire is grounded for some odd reason. Either pinched somewhere or a screw could be run into the harness. Start by unplugging the one section of the bulkhead that the brake valve wire is on.
:xscuseless:

Diagnosing this type of fault over the internet without pictures or background info is nigh on impossible.

I love to help out, but some guys make it difficult.

Either way, the circuit is like the glove box or trunk light - bulb has 12v fed via a switched hot from the ign switch. Brake lever or hydraulic block provides ground.

Key out of car, light is off. Two wires mentioned above disconnected, light should be off. You’re on the right track.

Auto Transport Service
Back