• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner correct Power Steering pump and brackets

pro-streeter

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Ok
I need some help with the correct Power Steering pump. I have found that there are 3 brands it seems. My car is a factory AC 1969 Road Runner California built Dec 1968. I bought the car with a TRW PS pump and a 5 1/2 dia pulley solid no spokes. Not sure this is correct however it does fit it would seem correctly. The brackets work and clear the AC compressor. Also there is a Federal brand very similar to mine in appearance however slightly different. This pump has a 6 7/8 spoke style pulley. The brackets are slightly different too. The pulleys can not interchange either as the TRW shaft diameter is larger than the Federal. The other brand is the Saginaw totally different in appearance. Trying to get a rebuild kit I have found the Federal and Saginaw are available. Can not seem to find the TRW.
Hope someone understands the history on this issue. The 1969 factory service manual only shows the Federal and Saginaw styles section 19-21 to 19-23

FWIW My '69 Super Bee (built in August 1968) came with the Saginaw pump. My '68 Coronet (built in January 1968) came with the TRW pump. I recently bought a Seal Kit for the TRW pump through "Parts Plus". It's a "Gates" Seal Kit. I can grab the # for you if it'll help.

FWIW My '69 Super Bee (built in August 1968) came with the Saginaw pump. My '68 Coronet (built in January 1968) came with the TRW pump. I recently bought a Seal Kit for the TRW pump through "Parts Plus". It's a "Gates" Seal Kit. I can grab the # for you if it'll help.

Yes please that would be great.

Gates 351390

I didn't need all that came in this kit since I wasn't doing a complete rebuild. But the large O-ring, two small rubber seals, and paper gasket that I did use, fit my TRW pump just fine. Hope it works for you.

Here's a pic of my pump so we're on the same page;

006_zpsa5a3b81b.gif

Gates 351390

I didn't need all that came in this kit since I wasn't doing a complete rebuild. But the large O-ring, two small rubber seals, and paper gasket that I did use, fit my TRW pump just fine. Hope it works for you.

Here's a pic of my pump so we're on the same page;

006_zpsa5a3b81b.gif

Thanks for the part number. Looks like mine however the mounting bracket is a bit different. Could be the difference between A/C and Non A/C

Both my RR's (68 and 69) have the Saginaw pumps and I typically see the Saginaw pump on 69 and later cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back