• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 super bee stating issues

Pepper

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Hot or stone cold,the car won’t turn over no click no nothing,power on all accessories work,try it ten times or so then it starts fine and runs good,Car has stock distributors,elec.ignitiion,4spd all help welcome.thanks Pepper

Check out the body plug on the firewall that has the neutral start switch wires.
If it has one.
My GTX had a slight problem there. I just slightly bent the terminals in the plug so they had good contact in the plug holder - and all good.

Stick a volt meter on the start relay wire that goes to the starter motor, if you turn the key to "start" there should be voltage.
If it does not crank but there is voltage present, your starter motor causes the issue.
Obviously when there is no voltage there is some wiring issues.
You can start from the ignition switch wiring to check the Yellow wire has voltage when the key is set for "start" position.

You did not mention you tried but the transmission neutral safety switch could also be causing it if poor contact.

I had the same problems with a brand new aftermarket ignition switch.
As it turns out,I have two problems,the relay only works intermittently,also the ignition switch only works intermittently,bought ignition switch from year one a year ago it had about 70 or 80 starts before it failed,aftermarket junk.I appreciate your help thx. Pepper

Good you found the issues.
FWIW, i bought a ignition switch from Classic Industries 2 years ago and still going strong.
Not sure, they might be different brand (real manufacturer), i think from Classic industries it will be from OER.
Maybe worth a try if ordering a new ignition switch.

As it turns out,I have two problems,the relay only works intermittently,also the ignition switch only works intermittently,bought ignition switch from year one a year ago it had about 70 or 80 starts before it failed,aftermarket junk.I appreciate your help thx. Pepper
Great that you found it. Mine came from Megaparts iirc, don't know who's their supplier. I finally bought a good used original for the price of an aftermarket one, no problems since then.

Auto Transport Service
Back