1970 big block swap

Cold Case Aluminum Radiators

1. Mark1972

Mark1972 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:43 PM
    So I will be looking for a new radiator for my 70' Satellite once the 318 comes out and the 440 goes in. I believe the big blocks often had the 26" wide rad. My car is an auto, no AC, and the little rad I have won't do the job I'm sure. It's not a high HP set up, only like 350. Could you make a recommendation?

2. Aarons Air

Aarons Air Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:43 PM
    Do you plan on cutting a wider opening in your core support ? Or letting the extra sit behind it ?

3. davek

davek FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    10:43 PM
    you probably can let the extra sit behind,I put a 440 in a 68 -318-charger and never had a cooling problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • diesel_lv

diesel_lv Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      A 22" wide with modern coring or a 22" wide 2 row aluminum should be plenty for a 440 not pushing 500 hp. I just looked up the 707hp Hellcat radiator specs a couple days ago. Approx 26x19x1.75. Proper flowing water pump and thermostat will be your concerns while driving and a full shroud and proper fan will be your concerns in stop n go traffic.

• Mark1972

Mark1972 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I don't want to cut if I don't have to. I guess that would limit me to a 22". I'm fine with letting 4" be covered if it actually meant better cooling. As I said, my motor is pretty tame. Reliability and driveability are the biggest concerns. There is lots of stop and go traffic. Summers are hot here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.