• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Charger 500

working on my new 727 trans, besides a trans, what else do I need to install?

- torque converter
- 727 yoke
- cooler and hoses
- shifter (how to connect it with oem dash?)
- ???
Kickdown assembly.

Very important, don't drive it around thinking "I'll get to that", you can burn out your transmission very quickly.

Kickdown assembly.

Very important, don't drive it around thinking "I'll get to that", you can burn out your transmission very quickly.

sure, no squeeze WOT first 5k miles.

If you're going from 904 to 727, you'll need to shorten and re-balance your driveshaft as the 727 is a longer transmission. I want to say it's a 3.5" difference, but someone can correct me I'm sure.

You should be able to use the existing shifter and linkage, I think...but when I converted my '72 Satellite from 904 to 727 I bailed on the column shift and installed a Hurst Pro-Matic floor shifter. But, I also built the 727 with a reverse-manual valve body, so the column shifter would have been...difficult, to say the least.

Ma Mopar started using RTV of some sort instead of gaskets at least 20 years ago. The OEMs hate leaks due to warranty costs.

View attachment 1413572
The OEMs would sell their grandmother to save a penny on each car. They probably save a bit of time (labor hours=money) along with having a robotic aid apply the material and the form-a-gasket materials probably saves them money and stocking/inventory issues compared to paper gaskets. Changing over to form a gasket materials probably saved them a lot of money each year.

Warranty claims for leaking paper gaskets?
1) The dealership will just say they all leak some and do nothing except lip service. :poke:
2) When was the last time you saw a leaking differential gasket? Maybe someone other than the OEM installed that gasket (incorrectly).

Me? I'm just going to use a paper gasket when the time comes to do anything with the differential. The surfaces will be clean of old gasket material of course.

I've used the right stuff. Works great and it's fast. I had to get a car back on the road like right now. Fortunately, I didn't have to take anything apart later on.

If you're going from 904 to 727, you'll need to shorten and re-balance your driveshaft as the 727 is a longer transmission. I want to say it's a 3.5" difference, but someone can correct me I'm sure.

You should be able to use the existing shifter and linkage, I think...but when I converted my '72 Satellite from 904 to 727 I bailed on the column shift and installed a Hurst Pro-Matic floor shifter. But, I also built the 727 with a reverse-manual valve body, so the column shifter would have been...difficult, to say the least.

My next door neighbors do driveshafts, they will cut and balance it.

Do you have pics how floor shifter was installed in interior?

My next door neighbors do driveshafts, they will cut and balance it.

Do you have pics how floor shifter was installed in interior?
And you need a 727 slip yoke

The new method is just to use RTV, no gasket.
I’ll have to agree with Kern Dog. Went to school to be a mechanic and thank god I didn’t chase that trade. Seems like I’m always fixing these 30 year old experienced mechanic screw ups. I mean I’ve lost count on how many years of paper gasket leaks I’ve fixed. Slap some gear oil RTV permatex on that rear end and you’ll never have a leak for the rest of your life and it doesn’t get much better than the right stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back