• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet 500 Gas Tank

oldchevelle541

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
Greetings all, I have a 1970 Coronet 500 that was restored 20 years ago and still shows well. The original gas gauge is not accurate but it at least lets me know there is gas in the tank. This evening I wanted to add 4-5 gallons of gas in preparation for going to cruise night. The tank took 4 gal and it was full to my surprise to the point it was coming out at the nozzle. I never filled the tank to the top since I owned the car. There was an accident on the thruway hence we had to turn around and head home. After I parked the car I smelled gas and it was dripping from underneath the car. I got a flashlight and discovered an open end tube coming out of the tank. It's opening appears to be above the tank. Gas was dripping out of this tubing. I have attached a photo. I went to pump out 4 gals of gas to help remedy the situation. When I opened the gas cap gas spurted out of the tank. The gas cap is non-vented. It appears the immediate issue is resolved.

So my questions to the experts here are:
1) is this tube correct for the fuel tank/Coronet and is it a vent tube to relieve pressure inside the tank.
2) is a non-vented gas cap correct then for this tank and fuel system.
3) back in the day what did the car owner do when they wanted to top off their tanks - did gas then come out of the same tube.

Comments appreciated.

IMG_1386.jpg

2-yes ,3 -when full stop pumping gas it .

does your car have Cali emissions/4 vents on tank? My Bee has 2 vents on tank like in last pic.

Thanks Everyone - when gauge is not accurate its easy to keep pumping. It's better than running out of gas on I-90 in the middle of nowhere. Diagram above appears to match up to my photo. My car is not Cal Emissions.

Auto Transport Service
Back