• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet fender tag question

Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
What is the meaning of a 1970 Coronet fender tag sequence number that starts with the letter K? I have never seen a sequence number with anything but numbers.

WK would be the police package. I assume you mean the 6 digit sequence has a K in it? If so, I’ve never seen that either.

sorry, I said sequence number, and meant SO number. I keep getting confused with the correct terminology. Sequence Number is part of the VIN, and I don't really know what the SO number is for. But the tag I am looking at has a SO number starting with K.

I think you mean a K to start the VON. If it’s not a police vehicle, that would be a general special order code that would usually be accompanied by a Y39.

What is the meaning of a 1970 Coronet fender tag sequence number that starts with the letter K? I have never seen a sequence number with anything but numbers.

Without seeing the tag, we're kind of guessing was to the meaning but....

K VONs can be found with Y39 Special Order designation.
K VON's can be found on fleet vehicle like 'cop cars' that required special handling or paint schemes.
K VON's can be found on non fleet 999 paint cars meaning the car got a color that was not recommended for that make and model.

So, there could be several reasons for the K VON.

If you post a picture, we can offer better insight by looking at the code in context as to the whole tag.

Auto Transport Service
Back