• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet/Superbee inside rear window trim

DLevel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have good pics or instruction on how the aftermarket plastic trim installs around the rear window inside ?A lot of the interior was missing on my Superbee when I got it years ago,so I knew I could have some struggles putting it back together.
I bought a 6 pc kit from Legendary and want to make sure I get it installed correctly.It appears the bottom piece doesnt snap onto the body and its almost as if the bends are backwards.
If someone has experience installing these I would love to here from you.

Bottom actually gets stapled to the package tray from the bottom side with some 1/4 inch staples then when the package tray is secured into place with the 2 hold downs it sorta holds it in there.The sides and upper are just a friction fit over where the headliner wraps over those pointed strips.They arent the best fitting but do work.

Bottom actually gets stapled to the package tray from the bottom side with some 1/4 inch staples then when the package tray is secured into place with the 2 hold downs it sorta holds it in there.The sides and upper are just a friction fit over where the headliner wraps over those pointed strips.They arent the best fitting but do work.

Thanks wannadrag, it just seems as if the legendary bottom piece is bent in reverse.There is a thin channel on one side that you would think pushes over the back of the tray then the lip would point up about 3/4 of an inch.Maybe I'm wrong,a picture would be worth a lot right now.I will try to take a picture of mine monday night and post if you could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Rear window interior trim for a 70 should only be a 2 piece. The bottom piece fastens to the deck shelf as wanadrag described the side and upper is all one piece and is a soft type of windlace material, 68 and early 69 used 4-pieces and was a ribbed plastic trim, a right and left side and upper piece, a top connector and the bottom deck shelf piece which was the same as a 70. I have good used correct original 68-69 pieces as well as 70 pieces PM me if interested

Hey guys here is a pic of the bottom piece in question.Is the small channel supposed to clip over the back with the long lip facing up ? You would think that would be the logical attachment but the trim is bent in the opposite direction for that.
When I first looked into putting this car back together I looked at a couple at the Nats that were original looking.I saw the lower corner pieces installed and then on some no lower corners. The few owners I talked to weren't sure if the bottom corners were supposed to be there or not. I found my original 1 pc sides and top trim and can re-use that.
Hope showing this picture will help explain what I'm not seeing on the trim attachment or it's improperly contoured. Thanks for the help ! DSC01132.jpg

Pic shows up pretty dark but it does look wrong.There are no lower corners,the top/side just buts into the bottom.I did have the cut just a fuzz off on my bottom to get the sides to fit right,Did mine before i put in the rear glass so it was somewhat easier.Should be just 4 parts,lower sides/uppers and the small connection on the top center.

Wannadrag,does it look like if I turned the piece around 180 deg the channel would push on that way if the bends were changed ?

Except that the side thats supposed to be seen inside the car would be against the glass.

Also from your original post 6 peices?You sure its the right kit?Should only be 4 parts,bottom,the 2 sides that go up the side and 1/2 way across the top and the 1" long connection top center.

Originally I bought the lower piece you see in the picture along with 2 bottom corners from Legendary. Once I couldn't figure out how my original one piece U-shaped sides and top mated up to that bottom and corners I thought the OEM piece wasn't re-usable with new pieces.Thats when I ordered the new side pieces and top connector I mentioned.It appears now I can use my old 1 pc sides and top if I can figure out the bottom. Wannadrag you or someone else out there wouldn't have a pic from insise the car of this would you ?

I see now says the wise man ! The two small channel lips don't swallow up the back edge of the tray it looks like they set on top. If thats right is the trim stapled on from underneath up through the tray into the plastic ?

I see now says the wise man ! The two small channel lips don't swallow up the back edge of the tray it looks like they set on top. If thats right is the trim stapled on from underneath up through the tray into the plastic ?

Hello

Already found a solution?

greets

Franz

Yes, the solution is find a good original one somewhere. The factory ones have a groove that slips over the rear edge of the package tray and had a few staples installed. It will fill the void between package tray and glass. The sides and top was a 1 piece part not multi-piece. The aftermarket kits I've seen aren't even close !

Auto Transport Service
Back