• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Dana fit in a 1971

68383GTS

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
I found a 1970 B Body dana for a real good price.From what I have found out it is 3 inches narrower than my 1971 rear.So thats 1 1/2 inch on each side.So I would guess it would fit,But I may have to get a different wheel back space?? Anyone here have any ideas. Thanks,Jim

The spring perches are in a different location, and at a different angle as well. It could be made to work, but you're probably gonna need a "deep" wheel to make it work

Hi Jim,

You have a couple of options. One is to put a different offset wheel on it the other is to replace the tubes and axles to lengthen it to 71 spec. This obviously is expensive. The perches will be in the wrong place and will have to be relocated.

Chris

I bought it for $500.00 today.It was bought new at the Dodge dealership in 1970 for a Ford Galaxie race car.It was ran in the Galaxie for 3-4 passes and then taken out.It has been sitting in the garage floor since 1970 or 1971.My buddy took it apart to change out the 410 gear and then was going to put in his Nova.I plan on using a 373 gear and putting it in my 71.

Awesome find

What a score! I found mine from a Ford truck but bet it isn't as clean as the one you found. I have to ask - Does your 71 need a Dana 60 for power purposes or did it come with one origianally? If you are running the car on the street, 3.73 makes sense but it just seems a shame to not have some lower gears in that housing to make the existence of that rear end justified. Either way, I am envious. If you lived near me, I would personally weld you up an 8.75 housing to get the Dana from you! Have fun with it!

Yes I am running it on the street.And no my 71 did not come with a Dana it came with a 8 3/4 with 323 gears.Once I get it together I should never have to worry about breaking it.I have broke a few 8 3/4's over the years.I do run my cars the way they were built to run.

Yes I am running it on the street.And no my 71 did not come with a Dana it came with a 8 3/4 with 323 gears.Once I get it together I should never have to worry about breaking it.I have broke a few 8 3/4's over the years.I do run my cars the way they were built to run.

You will need a different Sure Grip for the 3.55 or 3.23 gear. Try finding one. Everything is coming from China which is all crap. You might have to use a Eaton Locker. Remeber when you weld the perches on you need a shop with a very good Mig min of 180 amp Unit, or preferably a Tig machine. If you have a good shop they can produce a very good weld and proper penetration.

3.54 3.55 3.73 4.10, yes the driveshaft must be shorter because the dana is 13.47" from center to yoke and the 8 3/4 is 12.35" so theres a diff at 1.12"

3.54 uo to 6something, i have a 1970 myself the advantage is it has 35 spline original, housing is same

Auto Transport Service
Back