• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX needs speed (cruise) control

Mark Pifer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a new member to "For B Bodies". My name is Mark Pifer. I belong to "For C bodies" because of past owned Mopars. I currently purchased a 1970 GTX so I wanted to join "For B Bodies" and enjoy the forums good comments and shared experience as I did with c bodies. Thank you for allowing me to join.

A little introduction. My wife and I live in Venice Florida. Have been for the past 14 years. Our kids are all grown and doing well. Some are near by us and others away in different states. Now with grandchildren from 19 years old to 6 we are introducing them to a car my wife and I had back in 1975 which was a 1970 Roadrunner 383, 4-speed with bucket seats and dark green paint and vinyl top. We bought it for $850.00 at a gas station. Those were the days.

Enough with reminiscing. Now we have a 1970 GTX just a step above the Roadrunner. This has the 440, power front disc brakes, power steering, Automatic Transmission, A/C, Tic-Tac-Clock, upgraded interior with bucket seats, console and looped pile carpet in blue. The outside paint is B5 blue riding on Rally chrome wheels.

Currently I'm want to upgrade and install a complete speed (cruise) control system for the 70 GTX. I've read in some messages on "For B Bodies" different members have it all ready or are trying to install speed control on their B Bodies. Does anyone have available or knows someone I could contact to purchase the parts necessary to install on my 70 GTX? There are numerous parts involved. Servo, cable, hoses, wiring harness, brackets, linkage, bolts, clips, speed control/turn signal stalk, Brake switch just to name a few.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you may provide in this matter.

Best Regards,
Mark

img-5853.jpg IMG-5866.jpg

When you get down on your list of special parts, to the unique brake light switch, contact me. They are extremely hard to come by. My cruise control was dealer added when my Superbird was new. Some say it's a 71 unit, but honestly I couldn't tell you the difference. I still have 4 or 5 of the switches.
20190127_180302.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That is a great looking GTX. I am using a complete cruise control system on my 1964 Polara that I removed from a first generation Cordoba. At the time I acquired it (30 years ago), these were plentiful in junk yards, but now not so much. Also, a lot of c-body cars had the same setup.

When you get down on your list of special parts, to the unique brake light switch, contact me. They are extremely hard to come by. My cruise control was dealer added when my Superbird was new. Some say it's a 71 unit, but honestly I couldn't tell you the difference. I still have 4 or 5 of the switches. View attachment 1206490
I recently needed a new switch for my car, but could not find a Chrysler switch to do the job. I sourced a GM switch on Rockauto that will do the job for a 1980 Buick. It does not look like the original, but functionally will work.

welcome to the site Mark sweet ride and good luck on your hunt for parts

When you get down on your list of special parts, to the unique brake light switch, contact me. They are extremely hard to come by. My cruise control was dealer added when my Superbird was new. Some say it's a 71 unit, but honestly I couldn't tell you the difference. I still have 4 or 5 of the switches. View attachment 1206490

I believe this is one if so I have an Nos one..

upload_2021-12-11_22-23-59.jpeg

Welcome from CT.. Speed control. right foot down, right foot up. Repeat as necessary! :D:D:D:D:D

If you can figure out what parts interchange from a C body, I have the majority of the cruise setup from a 70 Chrysler Town & Country.

If you can figure out what parts interchange from a C body, I have the majority of the cruise setup from a 70 Chrysler Town & Country.
This would be the one to get, because the turn signal stalk that carries the On/Off/Set controls would be the same as b-bodies as well. While the Cordoba setup is mostly the same, the control stalk is considerably different in appearance. Don't forget the bracket that bolts to master cylinder and routes the cable to the carb.

It appears that the 70 parts manual does not show the Speed Control Package as being available in the 70 B Bodies. At least it doesn't show a part number for the complete package. The problem these days is finding a good servo. The parts manual does show part numbers for the B Body specific parts. The C Body stuff most generally all works in the B Body. The turn signal stalk was changed every few years, the early ones are hard to find and expensive. Do not get a turn signal lever for a tilt-tele column, they are different and will not work in your car. Then the after 74 levers came in several different lengths. Somewhere around 74-76 Chrysler started using smaller steering wheels, then needing a shorter lever. I have part numbers for different levers when you get that far. If you find a setup complete with a good lever, do NOT try to lube the OFF-ON switch with anything, it will stick worse. Soak the end of the lever in hot water with a little Dawn dishwashing soap mixed up well. Work the switch until it quits sticking and prop it up on a paper towel until it dries out. I recently got a complete NOS A Body CC package for my 67 Dart, can't wait to get it installed! I had installed a CC from a C Body into my 69 Coronet R/T, it works great.

Welcome from PA. My wife and I had our first GTX in 1977, bought it for $1500 from the front yard of the previous owner's parents. Those truly were the good old days.

70 GTX.jpg

I will admit I want to add that to my 70 Charger but with all oem stuff.. I use it to keep myself from misbehaving too much.. I have seen on EBay a control unit in parts for sale... not cheap though!

Mark,
Cruise control is a nice addition for driving on a trip. Back in the late ‘80’s while working at a dodge dealership I used a cruise control kit for a dodge B van, 1985/1986 ish. The stalk was the same as my Duster and since I used the car to travel from Gainesville Florida back to Connecticut it was great.

A different cable was required but when it was done it looks stock and worked perfect.

Cliff Ramsdell

Hi JMILL67,
You mentioned earlier in this thread you have a 1970 Chrysler with Speed control. The 1970 Chrysler's would work. The servo mount may be different and perhaps the cable lengths. Everything else should work perfectly..
I've attached the Mopar diagram of parts and their location on a vehicle. This will allow you to identify what is needed and where it is located. Any questions please contact me.
Thank you!

20211207_142746.jpg 20211207_142803.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back