• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX question

SlinktRR

Local time
8:39 PM
Reaction score
I'm a 70 roadrunner owner but the 70 GTX has always been on my list of mopars to get one day. The market for them seems more premium than RR I'm guessing because of lower production numbers. Say you had a rough but restorable 70 GTX. It was originally 4bbl 440/727 by fender tag but you wanted a four speed. Would it hurt the value, enhance the value, or no change to convert to 4 spd? Or just keep hunting for a factory 4 spd?

I would not worry about the "value", if its what you want then go after it. This whole "value" BS is just that. The vast majority of people would rather have a 4spd over an AT and given that its not a relatively "high" end car such as a 6 pack or hemi car AND considering it can all be returned to stock (god forbid) its of no consequence.

If you are so worried about resale value then buy a done car, pamper it, look at it in the garage and then someday flip it and try and make a few dollars. Trying to build value into the car will cost you more than it will be worth if you try and make it a high end resto in most cases depending upon who does the work, starting condition, etc. The only people making money in restorations is the auction houses and restoration shops UNLESS the car is very special and/or has provenance. There will be those that will tell you that you can make money and emphatically state that the car needs to be restored, well just do some research and you will find that is rarely the case especially for the first bill payer.

Build it the way you want it.

Enjoy it.

Keep the original parts if you're worried about resale.

Please don’t do it to a matching numbers drivetrain car. There are plenty with the missing original engine trans, so modify one of those cars.

I was selling a matching Numbers RT, the guy wanted to convert it to a 4 speed, I told him to keep looking and I wouldn’t sell it to him.

Last edited:
Does it have the original drivetrain? If not, go ahead and make it anyway you'd like. If it's a complete, original car... keep it original. Just my opinion.

The guy who makes the money is the one that comes to you and cries how your car is his dream car (or a relative's) and how he just "has to have it" to make his/their lives complete while at the same time explaining how little funds are available and how there are other cheaper/better cars for less money BUT your car is "the one" and begs/pleads for a deal to which you feel slightly guilty and subsequently give them a fair deal but don't make a lot only to see that same car on eBay a week later for about twice what you sold it for....

My vote is that if you want a 4speed, it is WAY easier/cheaper to buy a 4speed car. It may cost a little more since a 4speed GTX will automatically be a dana60 car.

When looking at car prices on Hagerty insurance website for these types of cars they say add 10% to the price if it’s a 4 speed.

I'm a 70 roadrunner owner but the 70 GTX has always been on my list of mopars to get one day. The market for them seems more premium than RR I'm guessing because of lower production numbers. Say you had a rough but restorable 70 GTX. It was originally 4bbl 440/727 by fender tag but you wanted a four speed. Would it hurt the value, enhance the value, or no change to convert to 4 spd? Or just keep hunting for a factory 4 spd?
do what you want. If the next guy that wants to buy the car after you, he can put it back to factory original. Life is short, do what makes you happy F the value.

I have a 70 GTX, originally a 4 barrel automatic. It is now a 4-speed six-barrel. Anyone can give me any number as to what my car is worth. It means absolutely nothing as this is the exact car I want and it is invaluable to me. Do what makes you happy and you can't go wrong! They are valuable cars either way.

Lotsa millionaires on here, F the value? Yeah right. Like it or not these are investments now.

Don’t **** up a numbers car for your wet dreams. Find one that has already been violated and do it up all you want.

I switched my 70 Charger R/T 440 Sixpack V code car to a 4 speed,the engine was matching numbers,but the transmission was not.

Wow, look at all the Red X's flying around on this thread, more than a political one !! My question is, if you have a 70 RR already why do you want a GTX ? It's essentially the same car as a RR, but in a tuxedo rather than a t-shirt & dungarees.

You asked specifically about affecting the value of the car to convert it to a 4 speed.
You did not specifically ask about whether you could/should do so regardless of value....
So, to answer your specific question - anytime you significantly alter an original "pedigree" car such
as a 1970 GTX, it does detract from the market value of the car.

The question of whether it's worth it to you to do so is an entirely different one - if you don't care
to devalue the car a certain amount in order to satisfy your own desires as some of these guys suggest,
by all means please do.
Just know that it will detract from the cars' market value to do so if it was original to begin with.

Now...

A basket case, hacked up car, one that no longer has any original drivetrain in it, well....
saving a car that was not roadworthy prior to the conversion, you'd actually be helping value, eh?

Good discussion here, short Mopar history for me. When I was a kid I only cared about two wheels, no cars. The first car I fell in love with was spade's turquoise 67 GTX in tommy boy, I saw that in high school before that all I cared about was motorcycles. Never could find a suitable 67 to turn into that, so I kept on with the motorcycle racing. The second Mopar I fell in love with was an FK5 70 GTX that was on the cover of Mopar muscle. I loved that car and then started looking for a 70 X but nothing to be had for my budget. I found an EV2 70 RR roller by chance on ebay of all places for really cheap, I had a good Mopar buddy who helped me get started with it. That car is now daily drivable and a hoot, but i'm getting the itch for another project. My RR is taxi cab raw bench seat and column shift 727 and I like it the way it is but a triple burnt orange bucket seat and console 4 speed GTX sounds good to me.

I agree with you guys, if not numbers and it's a project anything we can do will be fine.

I highly doubt unless it's a 100 pt concourse restoration
it would lessen the value much if any
to put a dana-60 & an 18-spline Hemi 4 speed in an otherwise
727tf & 8.750" car

hell many day 2 cars & rest-mods are bringing
as much if not more than OE, in today's marketplace
"sometimes", but it needs to be done right
& with quality parts/craftsmanship

IMO & unless it's a really rare car, rare optioned car
do what makes you happy,
there's plenty of the org. style builds out there still
Maybe (I'd suggest) save the parts,
so if you want to make it original again
you or the future owner (that doesn't want a 4 speed)
that wants a 100% OE car can have that option
(they are only original once, most restos aren't org., anymore either)

if it's not a numbers matching car,
I wouldn't even think twice about doing it
do what makes you happy, who cares what anyone else thinks

good luck whatever you decide

Auto Transport Service
Back