• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Hurst linkage question

beeguy

Banned
Banned
Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to mount my linkage up and there is a problem with the reverse arm and rod, this is the correct 1970 set up with the curved rod and all but even with the adjustment screwed all the way in I can't get it to line up with the 1-2 and 3-4 arms on the shift block. so when I look at the hole for the drill bit in the shift block to line everything up I see there is no hole in the reverse arm.

Does this mean the reverse arm isn't supposed to be lined up like every other Hurst I've messed with? I can't figure out if I need to modify something or if this is just the way it is.

It's been my experience that the pin goes through all the shift plates or arms, but the position of the plates where the rods attach may not be lined up. Swing the reverse plate from one end to another and see if you can find the notch. Or put the box in a vice and apply pressure on the handle until reverse engages.

Turns out I had the reverse plate upside down so now it fits right. there isn't a hole in the reverse arm at all for some reason, so I just lined it up with the other two and it looks like it will work fine.

There may be a crescent in the edge of it so you can line it up to get the gate right. If the reverse lever isn't in the right place, you'll never get it in gear

Auto Transport Service
Back