• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 ignition harness in 1968

wasco

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
I bought an electronic ignition setup from a guy with a '70 Charger - distributor, chrome box, new plug wire set and a new aftermarket wiring harness from the bulkhead to the horns. The harness has connections for the ECU and the electronic regulator, but not the distributor. I also notice there are connections for the horns, but not the horn relay. I'm wondering if I should splice the connectors from the '70 harness into my '68 harness, or is there an easy way to use the '70? The '68 harness is in fair shape - but not 'new' like the '70. I've ordered a two field alternator to replace the single field unit, a new four pin ballast and the new voltage regulator. I also notice a brown wire with a female blade connector near the end of both harnesses, but can't figure out what it goes to. Looking at the '68 and '70 wiring diagrams, it looks like the window washer motor? The tank is missing on my car - was there a pump nearby for the brown wire? Thanks!

I would look at FSM's and compare the bulkhead feeds to make sure the '70 harness is making the same connections. If so then I'd use the '70 harness.

The horn relay is mounted by the horn in 68. 70 is up under the dash.

The windshield washer tank is mounted on the right hand inner fender. You should see 2 holes there for mounting it.

I’ve traced everything on both wiring diagrams and the only difference is the horn relay. Both show the brown wire going to “windshield washer motor” on ‘68 and “washer motor” on ‘70. Does the tank have a pump?

I’ve traced everything on both wiring diagrams and the only difference is the horn relay. Both show the brown wire going to “windshield washer motor” on ‘68 and “washer motor” on ‘70. Does the tank have a pump?

yes there is a pump.

yes there is a pump.
Excellent - thanks for the confirmation! I assumed the 'washer motor' would be up on the firewall in the wiper motor, making the little wire near the alternator suspect. Does anyone have an extra tank for sale?

Between 69 and 70 even with the diff horn relay location I think it will be a plug and play job. True on 68/69 the horn wire is black since drives ground from the horn switch while on 70 this wire become green with red traces already handling the positive signal already triggered by the relay inside, BUT IIRC wire location is still the same at bulkhead. So you will get just a diff wire color for that.

It will need just to remove the horn relay pigtail from your old harness violet wire to alt stud included, better with the eyelet terminal ( or cut the wire from the end of terminal and attach a new eyelet terminal ), remove the black wire coming out from engine harness to the relay plug and insert there the green traced red wire coming with the new harness. You will have now two green wires with red traces attached to relay.

Last edited:
It will need just to remove the horn relay pigtail from your old harness violet wire to alt stud included, better with the eyelet terminal ( or cut the wire from the end of terminal and attach a new eyelet terminal ), remove the black wire coming out from engine harness to the relay plug and insert there the green traced red wire coming with the new harness. You will have now two green wires with red traces attached to relay.

Fantastic! Exactly what I needed! It is great to hear from you Nacho - I'm also planning to do your parallel wiring idea to keep the ammeter gauge functional but offload the power going through the bulkhead. Thanks so much!

Auto Transport Service
Back