• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite from Junk to......

Better than GM clips that don’t come off when you want them to and come off when you don’t want them to......nice simple design I like it! Kern Dog is it too or to here?

image.jpg

I would like to rebuild my door panels and was wondering what you guys use for the backing panel material.

Funny thing....
My Brother I law's 72 Duster project: We pulled the rear interior side panels. (I refuse to call them door cards, that is a British thing) Tucked in there were 3 or 4 small frisbees that had been there a LONG time. One was a ring like you see around the planet Saturn, it had the name Wham-O molded in it with a 1972 date. I wondered if they were stuffed in the car when it was new OR if they somehow migrated from the trunk forward. The Duster quarter panels are wider than Dart and Valiant models so theoretically, someone could have thrown them in the trunk and had them slide around the roof supports enough to get below the quarter windows.
The hedge clippers are a lot more bulky though.

Windshield ready to come out. There was a nice rubber gasket around this window it is obviously a repro by PPG. Rubber gasket looks like a perfect seal but I doubt that’s how the factory did it back in 1970.

DD888F21-B532-4190-A981-F6274C6915C5.jpeg

Ok the windshield is out. Was easy because it was installed with a rubber gasket as opposed to the sticky stuff. A few pics of my work space since its clean and always interesting to see others work area....

33235D61-7083-4184-9A96-BF0F6072618E.jpeg 484E7BA0-0E8B-40D1-B257-163525F5E5EA.jpeg 626E3713-EC96-44A9-B60F-86DA2799193F.jpeg D189E97F-C32E-40C4-9FEF-FD607794BBED.jpeg

That IS how the factory did it and a PPG windshield is probably original...
Oh so the two windows used different methods of assembly. That’s interesting. The rear window with butyl rubber gook and the front with a nice rubber gasket. I wonder if that was for safety?

Not sure their reasoning, but certainly how it was always done. As I've mentioned before you'd do yourself a huge favour by spending a night or two browsing through a few of the members restoration threads where a lot of what you're getting into is covered in detail. moparnation74's thread, hunt2elk's, mine for that matter or many others.

Not sure their reasoning, but certainly how it was always done. As I've mentioned before you'd do yourself a huge favour by spending a night or two browsing through a few of the members restoration threads where a lot of what you're getting into is covered in detail. moparnation74's thread, hunt2elk's, mine for that matter or many others.
Yeah I have been hunting around. Lots of good stuff. I like how some are dropping the whole K-Member to loose the motor. I saw that's what Jim K. did on that gorgeous 500 he did.

Ok the windshield is out. Was easy because it was installed with a rubber gasket as opposed to the sticky stuff. A few pics of my work space since its clean and always interesting to see others work area....

View attachment 935748 View attachment 935749 View attachment 935750 View attachment 935751

great work so far! But, the garage is too clean, and you have too much room. You need another project car in there to completely muck up all your work room. Its the only way!!

ED97748D-6DB2-4289-B5E1-EA9BCBF1DAF2.jpeg View attachment 935802 View attachment 935803 View attachment 935804

The motorcycle is in the back yard lol. I just cleaned it. Not normally this clean. I hate working in a messy workspace. Shop rule is to put tools away when done with each task.

for the longest time, I had a 3rd car where the bike is sitting. I got tired of squeezing around everything I worked on. Then my neighbor went into a nursing home and his son asked me to keep some of my cars over in his Dads building and keep up the place. Now I have plenty of room, my shop stays clean, I can keep running cars in the other building, and my roller projects are staged in there too! It’s been a godsend for getting stuff in order, and getting stuff DONE!

F4BBA8A5-930A-4E55-B49D-C727740541A9.jpeg

So while the windshield and rear window is out is there anything else that I should be thinking of doing other than all the metalwork of the roof, gutters pillars etc?

pull the dash. Inspect your dash wiring, repaint dash if needed,best time to replace master cylinder if it has manual brakes,wiper pivot seals,pull heater to clean it out.

The roof skin was shot so out it must come. This is a laborious task that feels like its the Mopar curse since it has affected the majority of owners as its own plague. Part of day one got the front windshield completed and the rear window removed. One of the more difficult things I have found is actually locating the spot welds especially the side rain gutter areas. They are hand done so they are not evenly spaced out. I can feel them better than seeing them but there are areas that I cannot do either.

A6A01EEA-92E4-4921-9C93-2414A1D2005D.jpeg

Welp all three if the HF spot weld cutters are kaput. The carbide teeth were OK but the centers were not hard steel and that was what kills them. It seems like this is always the case with their junk one stupid material issue that could so easily be prevented renders the while tool as junk. My Blair kit should be in on Wednesday now. All shipping has slowed due to the CV19 outbreak.

I am only about 30% done with the spot weld drilling. I am going to have to fabricate a good part of each of the sail panels as you can see.

F649D9EB-F6D8-4BC9-90DC-900CDC6B7F1C.jpeg 94961660-40B4-40F7-A2BB-73537D271B74.jpeg image.jpg

While waiting for the spot weld drill bits I removed all the windshield and rear window clips and located many remaining spot welds and predrilled them. I also removed the rear bumper.

BF5B8EB0-315A-4771-9D69-B5C076191D75.jpeg

Food for thought..... leave the underside of the trunk original paint and leave sticker on? Hum...... would be kinda cool to do that....its in realy nice shape.

image.jpg E4C3FC39-9138-4BDF-80F1-645F983B65D9.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back