• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Satellite Power Steering Gear question

JEFF STOLTZ

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
If my car currently has a cardone 276583 power steering gearbox in it, then will a lares 11033 be a direct bolt in replacement without changing anything else? Or would I also need to change the power steering pump to match it? Thanks for any insight as I believe my steering gearbox is worn to the point it may have skipped a gear and I would like to replace it as I am rebuilidng the front end of my car and doing a disc brake conversion as well. The issue is that the cardone steering gearbox is not available but I can get a new lares unit.

If my car currently has a cardone 276583 power steering gearbox in it, then will a lares 11033 be a direct bolt in replacement without changing anything else? Or would I also need to change the power steering pump to match it? Thanks for any insight as I believe my steering gearbox is worn to the point it may have skipped a gear and I would like to replace it as I am rebuilidng the front end of my car and doing a disc brake conversion as well. The issue is that the cardone steering gearbox is not available but I can get a new lares unit.

The pump will not need to be changed, it will work with either unit. You'll need to measure the pitman shaft on the Cardone unit. The new Lares unit will have a 1.125" pitman shaft when measuring the pitman shaft as it exits the steering gear. Cardone P/N 27-6583 could have been boxed with either an 1.125" or 1.250" pitman shaft. The later gear (1.250" shaft) bolts in a '72 older car if the pitman arm was supplied with the gear.
We have new 1.125" Lares steering gears in stock as well as remanufactured originals. PM for pricing.

Auto Transport Service
Back