• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-1974 Plymouth RoadRunner, GTX, Satellite photo thread

Sorry if I'm off topic, but this rarely gets discussed-

Dodge dropped both the Bee and the R/T and introduced the Rallye.
In 72 you could get a 318 in a Charger Rallye, and Rallye ran until 74.

Plymouth kept both the RR and the GTX but moved GTX to an option creating cars that were both (very misunderstood until just a few years ago), but you could NOT get a 318 RR in 72. You could starting in 73 though, and there is another widely misunderstood Mopar item- the dual exhaust RR/Rallye 318 was the 170 HP rating in the FSM, vs the 150 HP rated single exhaust 318 on other lines.

I've personally seen scads and scads more 318 73/74 Roadrunners that any permutation of 72-74 Rallye Chargers, despite 1973 being the high sales mark for Chargers in general.

...and I LOVE that the 73/74 cars are finally starting to get some love.

Big Thank you to "RustyTools"!

1972 RR GTX Triple Black 440 Auto on floor, factory sunroof, A/C, power windows, tuff wheel etc.
72 gtx.jpg

I've been into mopar longer than I remember. I've done about everything a poor guy could do. Drag raced,cruiser, street rod,muscle car. Had a 68 Charger 440/6. but recently, I veiw the popular mopar cars (68-70 RR/68-70 Charger/70-74 Cuda) you know the cars. As cookie cutter mopars. The cars everyone wants !
Then there are the second choice cars. 1970 super bee . Once considered ugly. The 71-74 B bodies. Most people just walk by them. Me included. But lately, I've taken that second look at those misfit mopars. The ones that a lot of people deam undesireable. And have found the desire to get a 71/72 RR/GTX/SAT.
Problem is money, and garage space. Don't need to tell you guys about that problem. But at this point, I'm still putting a plan together. About 4 miles from me is a 72 SAT (i think). I'm afarid to stop and look at it. Because I will want to own it. And I've got other/better thing to do with the money at this time. So it's just better to know were it is, and just drive past...but someday...someday.

When the time is right, you will have the money and find the car at the same time. I found my '72 SSP after my family pissed me off, so I left home for a week. I used that time to travel 1,500 miles to look at the vehicle I had seen recently on "Craigs List" and made the deal.

When I went with the owner to the DMV to finish the transaction, he asked me if I would mind if he went down there dressed in his pajamas. I said "let's go", he could have gone butt naked for all I cared. Anyway, it all worked out in the end. If I had rushed things, I may have purchased a rusted out car, but this California car was in good shape. And if my family hadn't been very rude to my that day, I might still be looking.

When the time is right, you will have the money and find the car at the same time. I found my '72 SSP after my family pissed me off, so I left home for a week. I used that time to travel 1,500 miles to look at the vehicle I had seen recently on "Craigs List" and made the deal.

When I went with the owner to the DMV to finish the transaction, he asked me if I would mind if he went down there dressed in his pajamas. I said "let's go", he could have gone butt naked for all I cared. Anyway, it all worked out in the end. If I had rushed things, I may have purchased a rusted out car, but this California car was in good shape. And if my family hadn't been very rude to my that day, I might still be looking.
I see your in Mexico. I'm sure finding a decent car should be easier (rust wise)...as for me OHIO. Need I say more ? Family, sometimes helpful...sometimes not so much.

I looked for '71-'74 BBodies here in the state of Baja California Sur for quite a awhile. I did not find any make or model from that period (Ford, Chevy, Mopar). The explanation I was given by one of the wrecking yard owners was, that during a period of time when scrap metal prices rose, the older vehicles were all sold off for scrap.

If I had found a car in this desert area, chances are the rust would have been minimal. As it turned out, the '72 SSP I did purchase was found in Fresno, California, parked in the garage of the owner selling the car on Craigs list. The car still had the license plate frame from the selling dealership, which was also located in Fresno. Fortunately, it stayed in the same neighborhood all it's life and was spared the extreme weather conditions the other parts of the country experience.

If you haven't already, place a permanent/automatic search on Craigs List for the years, make, and model you are looking for, I suggest that you try it. That's what I did. In fact, I still receive leads from Craigs list everyday in my e-mail for '71-72 Plymouths for sale-all models.

Here is a link to one of the latest leads, a 1971 Road Runner in Houston, Texas:
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6518982287.html

Last edited:
I looked for '71-'74 BBodies here in the state of Baja California Sur for quite a awhile. I did not find any make or model from that period (Ford, Chevy, Mopar). The explanation I was given by one of the wrecking yard owners was, that during a period of time when scrap metal prices rose, the older vehicles were all sold off for scrap.

If I had found a car in this desert area, chances are the rust would have been minimal. As it turned out, the '72 SSP I did purchase was found in Fresno, California, parked in the garage of the owner selling the car on Craigs list. The car still had the license plate frame from the selling dealership, which was also located in Fresno. Fortunately, it stayed in the same neighborhood all it's life and was spared the extreme weather conditions the other parts of the country experience.

If you haven't already, place a permanent/automatic search on Craigs List for the years, make, and model you are looking for, I suggest that you try it. That's what I did. In fact, I still receive leads from Craigs list everyday in my e-mail for '71-72 Plymouths for sale-all models.

Here is a link to one of the latest leads, a 1971 Road Runner in Houston, Texas:
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6518982287.html
That's a really nice RR. But $23000 is not in my future.

That's a really nice RR. But $23000 is not in my future.

Funny thing is, in a way, it just might be. After you find a good deal ($2,000 - $3,000) you will be surprised how you can easily spend that much and more. Perhaps not all at once, but it adds up, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but it will add up.

Funny thing is, in a way, it just might be. After you find a good deal ($2,000 - $3,000) you will be surprised how you can easily spend that much and more. Perhaps not all at once, but it adds up, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but it will add up.
been there-done that. I understand

heres my 72 SSP 400, and my buddy's 71 RR 383 air grabber

Old Town 11.jpg Resized_20180310_140104_8486.jpeg

had this one that was built in 9/70 . show room car , bought it from the original owner that left it sitting for years next to her house . sold it to a high school bud for a father son project . but the kid wanted a mini p/u so he sold it to .
71 RR dash.jpg
71 RR door pnl.jpg
71 RR eng well.jpg
71 RR eng with hood.JPG
71 RR frt end.jpg
71 RR intr .jpg
71 RR rear rt.jpg
71 RR rt frt side.jpg
71 RR rt rear side.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back