• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 440 valve cover stud length?

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for all the valve cover responses yesterday re gaskets. Here is a related question: My valve covers use a bolt to secure them to the head. I believe the factor had studs coming out of the head (1/4") to accept the gasket and valve cover nut. Anyone know the length of the stud?

Thanks!

I don't know what the factory tory used, but I think it was only on the corners on the big block.
Since I don't give a crap what the factory used, I just use six 1/4-20 setscrews per head, long enough to put on whatever valve cover I want, cast aluminum, steel, or light aluminum. I think I used 1 1/2 set screws, homemade spreaders, flat washers and nylon locknuts.

I'm doing pretty much the same, studs on the corners.
Every time I have had a leak it's been with after market cast or fab aluminum covers.
That and combine it with some high dollar rubber steel layered gaskets , just my luck but it's a fight.
I go back to stamp steel covers and cork gaskets and it's fixed.
I like the look of the cool covers , I just have bad luck with them.

Here's an original. They are 1", and dadsbee's post is correct.

DSCN8281.JPG

Last edited:
As usual, thanks for all of the collective input and the great photo! Time to fix that pesky leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back