• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-74 Dodge Charger with 318 ..mileage?

My car pings like hell at 1* BTDC, but runs perfect at 0* (which is the book spec).

Is your balancer right? sometimes they move with age. also you need to know your total mechanical timing. you need to get more initial but you can't just do that if you have too much built into the distributer. you can either weld up the slots that limit mechanical travel or some places sell a plate that offers different settings that you can fit in the stock distributer with different total settings built in. if one degree is night and day like that you may have something else going on.

Like most of the other folks here, my '72 Charger (Carter 2bbl, 318 bored 0.010 over, TQ 904, stock 8.25) was getting in the low 20s when she was driveable. When I got the car the carb was badly out of adjustment and, seriously, I got between 5 & 10 MPG.

Auto Transport Service
Back