• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-74 Dodge Charger with 318 ..mileage?

Dusterkrazy

Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
I know there are lots of variables but what kind of real world mileage have you seen with a 3rd gen Charger equipped with a 318? I guess a 318 Roadrunner or Satellite would be in the ballpark?

I figure most of the 318 cars will have a 2.76 gear or so..

17 city / 22 hwy properly tuned.. i got 21mpg with my 73 SE, 400 2bbl, 2.76 gears on the highway

All my 318s (two 66s a 67, a 70, and two 73s got around 20, in lighter cars. Heaviest and worst was 73 Challenger, but engine was not in as good shape, either.

My 73 (block with 75 heads) is 18, about to get worse with a rear gear ratio change if nothing changes to stop the swap.. Now its a peg leg with high gears, not sure how high but what you mentioned is close i imagine. My Ram (318) is 16 which i would have thought been better especially with OD.

Last edited:
17 city / 22 hwy properly tuned.. i got 21mpg with my 73 SE, 400 2bbl, 2.76 gears on the highway

That's pretty impressive. Buying gas is far cheaper than making car payments!

My '65 Newport coupe with a '73 400 is getting 17 highway. It has a 600 Holley, Performer intake, 452 heads, Hughes cam, double roller timing set, 727 and 8 3/4 with 2.76 gears. It is a HEAVY car though..lol

Not a b body but just comparing...

Yeah, I get about 20mpg overall with my '74 318. That's why I drive it to work most days!

I get about 8-12 on my 318 '69 Satellite :(

I wonder what I'm doing "wrong"?

I do have and Eddy intake and 4bbl, tho.

Lots of variance in mileage, I noticed it depended to me where I lived. if city meant phoenix,litle warmup time, (mostly highway) or Omaha, a lot of stop and go, colder. The main point is buying gas you can control, that damn car payment is there no matter what.

Lots of variance in mileage, I noticed it depended to me where I lived. if city meant phoenix,litle warmup time, (mostly highway) or Omaha, a lot of stop and go, colder. The main point is buying gas you can control, that damn car payment is there no matter what.

Also keep in mind we have the shittiest, most modified gas in this fine state of California. I should probably consider changing my system to injection at some point, since that's what this fuel is being made for.

I'm considering Injection as well. I wonder what is available for a 400 in my cordoba?

rob a bank maybe! But thanks, I appreciate your passing it on.LoL:hello2:

Thread back from the dead....but after a year of real world mixed driving, my Satellite is getting about 14 MPG.

Bone stock, other than dual exhaust.

I do have a fuel return vent/excessive pressure build up in the tank issue I'm trying to sort out.

...and my accelerator pump is set for quite a bit more pump shot than factory spec, although if I set it to spec, it falls on it's face.

When I get those things sorted out, I'm hoping to be closer to the 20 MPG mark, but something tells me this particular 318 isn't going to get that much better.

It DOES start every time, and runs very, very well.

a bit more timming will help with your mileage as well, todays gas is really oxygenated compared to the fuel we had when the car was new. i run at least 15 degrees of initial with about 35 total in most of my mopars with more cam i run even more initial. try to get your vacuum advance set up right as well.

a bit more timming will help with your mileage as well, todays gas is really oxygenated compared to the fuel we had when the car was new. i run at least 15 degrees of initial with about 35 total in most of my mopars with more cam i run even more initial. try to get your vacuum advance set up right as well.

My 318 is timed about the same. I just re tuned my Eddy yesterday to run leaner. I'll see how it goes.

My car pings like hell at 1* BTDC, but runs perfect at 0* (which is the book spec).

My 70 Coronet with a 318 (That I've owned since 1982) has always got 15-16 around town
and 22 on the highway....that was even when I ran points in the 80's / 90's

I've upgraded to a MP aluminum intake, holley 600cfm 4 barrel, and dual 2.25 exhaust and the
latest FBO ignition system with a recurved distributor etc.

I still gets 15-16 around town and 22-23 on the highway...
the difference is I can go 70-75 on the highway and get 22 mpg
as opposed to the 80's /90's with points I could only do 55-60 mph....

Best of luck to you!

Auto Transport Service
Back