• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 b body rad color

This will be fun. I used satin black. It's not flat and it sure isn't gloss.

416.JPG

417.JPG

Originally the radiators were painted using Naptha reducer, The dry sheen depended on if it was a humid or dry day that it was painted. Long story short.. There is no 100% accurate answer so paint it whatever you feel looks like the best sheen to you.

That's about right as far as an answer. I had an nos radiator and it was what I would call semi gloss to flat..
From several months ago:
The reason for the black radiator paint is: the black color helps with the dissipation of entertained heat. It has everything to do with the black body radiation principle.....not cosmetic reasons. Thought you might like to know.... BOB RENTON

From several months ago:
The reason for the black radiator paint is: the black color helps with the dissipation of entertained heat. It has everything to do with the black body radiation principle.....not cosmetic reasons. Thought you might like to know.... BOB RENTON
I do know that and believe it or not when I first built my 64 Dodge the entire engine was painted black the first few years. I later pulled it and repainted it hemi orange...

I use Eastwood's Radiator black paint. It goes on thinner than some of the other rattle can paints. Stays on and looks good.

Here's mine 10 years later. I used the satin from John Deere.

20200614_164506.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back