• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger Build. What to do...

RockyPat

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to start by saying that I am new to the muscle car world and not very mechanically sound. I am young and would like to learn! I would not mind taking a lot of time to finish this project. I am trying to be sensible with the money I spend on the car. I am trying to be frugal with the understanding that spending more for a better setup can be worth it.

I plan to keep the patina of the car and make it a ratty, mechanically sound build with either some steel wheels with hub cabs or 17 inch magnums.

I recently purchased a 1971 Charger with a 318/904, front bench seat, and other base model attributes.

I will most likely need to rebuild the 318 and 904 unfortunately. While I was adding up the costs of rebuilding both items, a thought popped up into my head: Why not a G3 Hemi swap?

I know it is a lot of work and there are many parts modifications that need to be purchased and addressed.

I also do realize that it would cost more to do the hemi swap than rebuilding the 318/904 combo. BUT, would it cost way more to a point where the swap is not worth it?

A 5.7, 6.1, or 6.4 hemi with an overdrive automatic transmission or a 5/6 speed with fuel injection would be more fun, reliable, and powerful.

I am in the process of taking off the grill, front clip, fenders, and hood to fix some frame damage. I have also taken out the carpet and have no interior left in the car besides the dash (if I needed to cut the transmission tunnel there would be nothing in the way).

My original bench seats are all torn up and would need to be redone, and the non-R/T instrument cluster is broken and needs to be replaced. Meaning that I would need to replace most of these parts regardless of the type of engine, so I could cater replacement parts to work the hemi swap.

I really like some of the seats in the newer Charger/Challenger RTs SRTs.

My thinking is to try to buy a wrecked car on Copart with a low mileage hemi and transmission and nice seats to use in my 71 since original bucket seats are EXPENSIVE. GOOD/BAD idea??

Then, I would have a complete donor car to work with and I could potentially sell unneeded parts to recoup some of my costs.

Has anyone done anything similar to my plan?

Anyone see any problems with my ideas?

Should I just stick with the 318/904? Any other engine upgrade would cost a lot of money besides a 360 probably, so I am either thinking G3 hemi or the original 318.

Here are pictures of my 71 Charger:

img_5828-2-jpg.jpg
img_5834-2-jpg.jpg

Some potential seats I would like to put in my car (2009 Charger RT) (also, I would like to use the back seats if possible):
charger-rt-seats-jpg.jpg

Drivetrain is doable, if your keeping the stock suspension the torsion bar crossmember will need to be reinforced if your going to install a bigger transmission...

Seats you'll find they are designed for a taller cabin... Or in other words bolted to the floor your head will be in the roof, you'll need to lower the floor.... There are plenty of modern seats that work, the late model Mopar seats aren't a great choice...

I have those seats on my 70 challenger. I used the rear seat overs from the new car and had them installed on the old car seats

I like them

here’s a pic to maybe give you some ideas. I saw that and liked it
F6CB0487-A441-47BE-8914-A635774A1BEF.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I would like to start by saying that I am new to the muscle car world and not very mechanically sound. I am young and would like to learn! I would not mind taking a lot of time to finish this project. I am trying to be sensible with the money I spend on the car. I am trying to be frugal with the understanding that spending more for a better setup can be worth it.

I plan to keep the patina of the car and make it a ratty, mechanically sound build with either some steel wheels with hub cabs or 17 inch magnums.

I recently purchased a 1971 Charger with a 318/904, front bench seat, and other base model attributes.

I will most likely need to rebuild the 318 and 904 unfortunately. While I was adding up the costs of rebuilding both items, a thought popped up into my head: Why not a G3 Hemi swap?

I know it is a lot of work and there are many parts modifications that need to be purchased and addressed.

I also do realize that it would cost more to do the hemi swap than rebuilding the 318/904 combo. BUT, would it cost way more to a point where the swap is not worth it?

A 5.7, 6.1, or 6.4 hemi with an overdrive automatic transmission or a 5/6 speed with fuel injection would be more fun, reliable, and powerful.

I am in the process of taking off the grill, front clip, fenders, and hood to fix some frame damage. I have also taken out the carpet and have no interior left in the car besides the dash (if I needed to cut the transmission tunnel there would be nothing in the way).

My original bench seats are all torn up and would need to be redone, and the non-R/T instrument cluster is broken and needs to be replaced. Meaning that I would need to replace most of these parts regardless of the type of engine, so I could cater replacement parts to work the hemi swap.

I really like some of the seats in the newer Charger/Challenger RTs SRTs.

My thinking is to try to buy a wrecked car on Copart with a low mileage hemi and transmission and nice seats to use in my 71 since original bucket seats are EXPENSIVE. GOOD/BAD idea??

Then, I would have a complete donor car to work with and I could potentially sell unneeded parts to recoup some of my costs.

Has anyone done anything similar to my plan?

Anyone see any problems with my ideas?

Should I just stick with the 318/904? Any other engine upgrade would cost a lot of money besides a 360 probably, so I am either thinking G3 hemi or the original 318.

Here are pictures of my 71 Charger:

View attachment 1137975 View attachment 1137976

Some potential seats I would like to put in my car (2009 Charger RT) (also, I would like to use the back seats if possible):
View attachment 1137977
Humm learn more that is not a 72 or 73.

Drivetrain is doable, if your keeping the stock suspension the torsion bar crossmember will need to be reinforced if your going to install a bigger transmission...

Seats you'll find they are designed for a taller cabin... Or in other words bolted to the floor your head will be in the roof, you'll need to lower the floor.... There are plenty of modern seats that work, the late model Mopar seats aren't a great choice...
Just have fun drive it like you made it.

Also by the time you get and pay for Challenger seats for similar you may as well have spent the money on Originals!

Good to see a young guy getting involved in these cars

A lot of your questions can only be answered by you, for instance learning to weld and buying a welder will almost be a must when going down the custom route. I say build it how you want and don't look back.

I personally like the modern drivetrain route. It's nothing to wrap up $2,000- $3,000 in rebuilding a motor especially when figuring in the machine work then if your going for more hp it only climbs. I don't know much about modern Hemi swaps but I would think the biggest added cost would be on the electrical side, harness, computer?? Research it, educate yourself before jumping into anything. Plenty of members on here have done it, start a thread in the pro touring section and use the search feature to find ones that have already done it.

As far as seats go.. why not? My Charger didn't come with seats and every time I found a set at a swap meet they wanted $500 for junk that needed completely redone so add another $450 to that and that's just the front bucket's. I ended up buying Sebring seats for $75 and a Chrysler 300 rear bench for $50, took some fab work but they worked out great. Me liking the classic BB sound I kept true to that but added a Viper 6 speed and love it. Point is make it how you want it but know what your getting into before you leap.
20150524_174450.jpg

A lot of your questions can only be answered by you, for instance learning to weld and buying a welder will almost be a must when going down the custom route. I say build it how you want and don't look back.

I personally like the modern drivetrain route. It's nothing to wrap up $2,000- $3,000 in rebuilding a motor especially when figuring in the machine work then if your going for more hp it only climbs. I don't know much about modern Hemi swaps but I would think the biggest added cost would be on the electrical side, harness, computer?? Research it, educate yourself before jumping into anything. Plenty of members on here have done it, start a thread in the pro touring section and use the search feature to find ones that have already done it.

As far as seats go.. why not? My Charger didn't come with seats and every time I found a set at a swap meet they wanted $500 for junk that needed completely redone so add another $450 to that and that's just the front bucket's. I ended up buying Sebring seats for $75 and a Chrysler 300 rear bench for $50, took some fab work but they worked out great. Me liking the classic BB sound I kept true to that but added a Viper 6 speed and love it. Point is make it how you want it but know what your getting into before you leap.View attachment 1138531
Agree fully custom learn to weld migs are well priced and do the job. If you pick custom mod way the only advice would be think outside of the box. Factory did great but there is room for improvement. I am at the moment fitting a short shaft bolt on yoke motor home 727 in my 73 Charger. Keep at it do the homework lets all see someday what we have built.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I did not know that late model Charger/Challenger seats are too tall for the older B-bodies. You learn something new everyday!

As of now, I am leaning towards picking up a 440/727 to swap in for the 318. This would be a cheaper route and would still give me some great performance...and all of that TORQUE!!!!

Keep it old style. Pick up a big block, cheap enough to build.

Auto Transport Service
Back