• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Road Runner Help & Questions

CoronetRTguy

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

well in my search for the right MOPAR I have come across a 1971 Road Runner that I think may be the one I go for and buy. I love the color combo and I love the 1971 cars, oh and did I mention its a numbers matching car!

The car needs a new roof, but the owner has one and will weld it on for me. He is a master at metal and body work. He does a lot of restro mods on cars that are more or less parts cars....If that. He has a shop that will be open to the public very soon and a 1966 Charger that will be hitting the auction block very soon, so his name will be out there.

The car may need a drivers side fender and hood but he does have those to put back on the car.The drivers side fender (something fell on it) may be able to be repaired.I'm not sure whats wrong with the hood but will know more later on.

My question is I have been decoding the car and I'm not sure if it had a full white vinyal top or half viynal top. Also I'm not sure of the stripe package.

So here is the fender tag, tell me what I don't know or what I think I might know and I'm just not sure of.

END
H21 N41 R11 V21 V8W 26
V4W U A87 B11 G11 R51
GB5 H2B5 GB7 A22 151654
E65 D32 RM23 N1G 134008

Okay so there is the tag from what I can read from the pics. I hope to get some more pics of the car later in the week or weekend.

Some pics I got last weekend and will have some better ones soon.

Here is trunk pan

IMG_8538.jpg

Inside the car

IMG_9845.jpg

Rear view

rear.jpg

Side view (71 Road Runner I think its his dads and he is keeping to restore)

sideview.jpg

Will get more pics and of the front windshield its just crazy in how bad it is.

Last edited:
V4W= White canopy (half) vinyl top.
V8W= White C-pillar strobe strip.

Thanks I wasnt sure if it was a full top or if canopy meant half and when I saw the stripe package I thought it was.

Awesome color combo I think I found my car. Also the trunk is rust free and I think the quarters are as well. This car is in Texas not sure if that is where it spent its life or not.

Yeah I think I found my car :headbang:

How rare would this color combo be if rare at all?

Where can I find a break down of this color combo?

Good luck on this one, Hope this one works out good for you sure sounds like a cool one numbers matching! please, do post some pictures if it all gos well...
thumbs.gif

Good luck on this one, Hope this one works out good for you sure sounds like a cool one numbers matching! please, do post some pictures if it all gos well...
thumbs.gif

I will he sent me some in a text the other day and the roof is bad around the windshield I mean really nasty looking. I lost the text but he is going to get me some pics.

When I get some really god ones I will post them. I'm not sure how long the car has been sitting but I think all floor pans are rust free.

Here is trunk pan

IMG_8538.jpg

Inside the car

IMG_9845.jpg

Rear view

rear.jpg

Side view (72 Road Runner I think its his dads and he is keeping to restore)

sideview.jpg

Will get more pics and of the front windshield its just crazy in how bad it is.

Did this one have the stripes down over the front fenders from the hood? I think I decoded that right.

Thanks I wasnt sure if it was a full top or if canopy meant half and when I saw the stripe package I thought it was.

Awesome color combo I think I found my car. Also the trunk is rust free and I think the quarters are as well. This car is in Texas not sure if that is where it spent its life or not.

Yeah I think I found my car :headbang:

How rare would this color combo be if rare at all?

Where can I find a break down of this color combo?

You can look up option codes and paint info on RoadRunnerNest.com

You get that bad rust around the windshield free with that vinyl top!

Seriuosly though, looks like the reast of it is very solid.

There's a B5/B5 72 340 bench seat a/c car down here.

No vinyl top, no stripe. I really like the car, but they want too much (13K), and are doing fast/cheap body work in a couple of places (even though it's mostly solid) and say they will want "much more" when they are done.

Heck I'd buy it LOL. Roof rot scares a lot of people but its really an easy fix and it can be properly repaired without a donor car. But having a spare roof is just as good. If It were me I would have him not replace the whole roof but cut the sections out of the other roof and weld them into where you need them patched, less chance of tweaking the body. Looks like it may need front floors but a look at those wheel wells and that trunk I bet the metal work will be minimal. I have two rock solid 72s and they are both rotted at the back of the wheel wells (they all do).
Also 71 B5 with B5 interior and a white top is exactly they way my 71 Challenger came as it was B5 was a really popular color in 71. It is a stunning combination and my Challenger is going back that way.

They guy is in Texas I wont be going down to get this one but I'm not sure if he will deliver the car to me or have one of his guys do it. If so and you are looking for parts let me know. If I get the car I'm sure a deal can be worked out on it. He has a lot of parts for B body and some E body cars.

Yeah I'm not scared of the roof being bad on the car its just I can't do the work so it would cost me a chunk of my money to do it in my area. The guy said he would work out a deal with me on replacing the roof, fender and hood.

The V21 code does that just mean its the stripe inside the scoops? I wonder why they did black and not white or was white not an option? I need to go back over the code and look at them again as it was late (2am) when I decoded the car.

I think the drivers pans are good, will know in a few as he is home today taking pics of the car and doing some work on a few of his projects.

I dont think there is any rot in the quarters, wheel housing and trunk pan. This car is solid other then the roof.

I'm not sure if he will use a full roof or just the skin of it. I dont know if both sections are rotted (under side and upper) so once I get more info on that then I will know how he will repair it.

I'm trying to keep my cost down to be able to put the car in my garage. I know the asking price of the Road Runner itself and if I can get the work down with the extra parts and delievered for $3500 to $4000 then I believe I can put it in my garage and set on the car till I can afford to do the rest of the work.

I'm also going back to school so some of my money will go to that I just gotta play it all out and find out his price of doing the work, replacing the parts and fixing the roof and then delivery.

Stay tuned more pics and info coming.

Uh, just a programming note~~~

If the roof is rusted and the floors are rusted...I'd want to see closeups of the A piilars inside the door jambs, and I'd definately want to put my hand in the cowl vent stack.

Hard to check that via pics.

If that cowl and vent are rusted through...that's a few more thousand in repair work.

Uh, just a programming note~~~

If the roof is rusted and the floors are rusted...I'd want to see closeups of the A piilars inside the door jambs, and I'd definately want to put my hand in the cowl vent stack.

Hard to check that via pics.

If that cowl and vent are rusted through...that's a few more thousand in repair work.

Thank you I will ask about that. I dont think the pans are rusted. I'm not sure what happend to the roof and I think the car has been kept covered but again I will know more soon.

If leaves got into the cowl then there is the risk of damage there too. I had to remove the cowl on my Challenger to get to the air vent ring inside to repair it. It could be a few thousand if you don't do it yourself. Its not a big deal but labor intensive and thats where all the money goes when you pay to have it done.

Trunk seems to be in decent shape, id like to see the other pictures hes sending.. Should ask him how long its been sitting, might give you a better idea on the floors and frame rails, if you know anyone in that area maybe they could go have a look for you.. Just a suggestion but a second set of eyes never hurts..

Thanks everyone, he is texting me info now. I'm told the roof is a little more then what he thought it would be. I was thinking of a roof skin or full roof and he was looking at patching. I'm waiting to hear back how bad and what not on that.

He did say it look as if it will need floor pans, he is going over the car right now. I hope to know more in a few hours as he is going over the car and sending me as much info as he can and pics as he can.

I have no fear in any repairs that he does to the car will be done right but it may go past my budget in repairs right now.

The Road Runner is right now $1700 plus any work done to it. As soon as I have more pics and info on the car I will update. I think my car is fading away just not sure yet. I was and am stoked on the color combo and it being numbers matching but if its beyond what I can do and my budget it will be another right now I will have to let go.

The guy is honest and up front with me and has been for a year now that I have talked with him. In fact we bounce car numbers off each other all the time.

So stay tunned if this falls through I will just keep saving up and hope to get back to work soon and then be able to raise my budget past what I have from the sell of my Corvette.

There is still that 73 Road Runner in my area I want to look at and that is one I would make it look stock but it wouldnt be stock at all. I would do some hot rodding to it and enjoy it as a driver and who knows if they will ever reach high dollar status. I did see one go for $12,500 over the weekend at Mecum.

Stay tunned more info inbound later.

I hope you manage to get the one you want, hate to see you get in a binder, like you said with your budget.. I don't know what to tell you on the values going up, The real value to me is the fun i have doing them and driving them, but thats me, i just love the cars.. Good luck, don't loose your enthusiasm!! If this isn't the one, you'll find the one and it may be even a better one then you imagined..

where in texas, if its any where near Ft worth I can look at it.
And I'm pretty sure there are members here from Houston, San Antonio and Longview. Make dam certin to stay away from Texas toybox.
I cruise Cl every day and do not recall those cars

Auto Transport Service
Back