• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Road Runner Map light

RR71RR

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
I just bought a 71 RR and it did not come with a under the dash map light. I recent purchased the map light unit but do not know how to hook it up in a car that was not originally optioned. Does anyone have an idea how to hook up this map light? Do I have to cut into another live wire somewhere to power the light. It has a plug but nothing to plug into. I also found a harness that goes with the map light but again what do I plug this into? (See Pics)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
The harness that you found plugs into the dash harness then the map light plugs into that. A real pain with the dash in the car. There is a little slot in the dash pad that the pigtail of the light goes through into the back of the dash. The first pics shows the area where it is at. The 2nd pic shows with the dash harness installed. Cut nothing. Everything plugs in.
1673563662246.jpeg

1673563738838.jpeg

Yap! The underdash harness gets diff feeding sources for it

6620390-wiring7.jpg

The ground reinforcement on dash is located underneath the driver vent outlet area. You should find the harness dash ground already attached there with a phillips screw with a C nut on dash frame.

door ground and batt feed are between Radio and Speaker area, hanging around.

The harness that you found plugs into the dash harness then the map light plugs into that. A real pain with the dash in the car. There is a little slot in the dash pad that the pigtail of the light goes through into the back of the dash. The first pics shows the area where it is at. The 2nd pic shows with the dash harness installed. Cut nothing. Everything plugs in.
View attachment 1401164
View attachment 1401165
Thanks! You guys are the best!!

Yap! The underdash harness gets diff feeding sources for it

View attachment 1401390

The ground reinforcement on dash is located underneath the driver vent outlet area. You should find the harness dash ground already attached there with a phillips screw with a C nut on dash frame.

door ground and batt feed are between Radio and Speaker area, hanging around.
Thanks so much!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back