• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger Turn signal wiring

Swamp Ape

Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
I searched, but couldn’t find what I was looking for exactly.

Anyway, the turn signals haven’t ever worked on the 72 that I picked up a few months back. The hazards work. I figured it was an issue with the switch, so I replaced that. They still don’t work.

So, I broke out the wiring diagram and realized there should be a separate flasher for the turn signals. I traced the wires and found the plug for the flasher by the ashtray, I think (see attached pic). There is a red wire and a black wire coming out of it. The black wire is cut. So, that explains why I have no turn signals.

Now to fix it. Looking at the wiring diagram, the red wire comes from the column and the black wire gets connected to several orange wires eventually. Based on the little I know about flasher systems, the red should be always hot, or at least have power to it when the ignition is on. Black is usually ground, but I’m not sure in this case. When I check the voltage to the red wire, there is no voltage whether the key is on or off. I can’t find where the other wire is supposed to connect to any orange wire, yet. Was hoping to find remnants of the cut black wire.
Anyway, what is the correct way to way to wire this flasher? I also have no front turn signals installed right now(bumper is off), would that be an issue? The rear hazards work with no front bulbs installed.
Thanks in advance

CBC28BDD-452C-44FE-8219-80776E233743.jpeg

First rule of thumb working on old Mopars, never assume a black wire is a ground. In this case it is not, black wire is the power for the turn signals, runs over to the radio power connector, changes color coding to red with a tracer, then on to the fuse panel, radio fuse.

Pretty common for the radio power connector to be cut off, red* and black wires not connected back together.

I will also add, looking at this wiring diagram that it ties in with the red wire on the radio. I assume that is a switched power source.

17573DBE-FFE8-40BE-901B-675B9A6451DA.gif 827BA47A-E389-4D73-BB32-6471D3B03FFB.jpeg

So, the red wire coming from the column. Do you know, Is that a switched power, or constant on?

Power is not coming from the turn signal switch. Power for the turn signal originates at the fuse panel, radio fuse. Yes, switched. runs to the radio connector, to the flasher, then on to the turn signal switch.

Power is not coming from the turn signal switch. Power for the turn signal originates at the fuse panel, radio fuse. Yes, switched. runs to the radio connector, to the flasher, then on to the turn signal switch.

Thanks. I’m going to try to spend some time with it today in between my daughters soccer and my sons golf match. I may have to draw out the circuit just so I have a better idea of how it runs (sometimes it helps me understand it better). I’m hoping to do this without removing the dashboard again.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Well, Holy ****. I am not sure if we can type the word **** in here or if it will get flagged. So, sorry if the word **** is a violation.

Anyway, with the info from the links 72RRGTX posted, the wiring diagram and a little patience, I was able to find the old radio plug (radio was removed when I got it). I traced the wires from there and was able to find the other end of the cut black wire stuck up the the rats nest under the dash. I tested the continuity and the voltage and then ran a jumper to the plug I posted above. Lo and behold, I now have turn signals. I have no idea why someone would have cut that black wire, and I am still shaking my head that the Mopar folks use a black wire to carry current, but this one is solved. Now I just have a thousand other small projects to finish :)

Thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back