• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Electronic Ignition Upgrade

256179F5-9F25-4B64-A771-6AA21FE7DA82.jpeg

Frustration, which ballast resistor is that?
I have used the Mallory 700 ballast resistor with good results.

I second the vote for the factory-style system, especially in a street car with limited drive time. We run a factory distributor with a chrome box in our '69 road runner. Drives, starts, and races great up to 6500 RPM. I also agree that the MSD 6AL is a good alternative. Having a rev-limiter is a nice option on a race car. One of my pet peeves is having an MSD box mounted in the engine bay. It's easy to get to, but a total eye sore! Mount it on the floorboard under the glove compartment, or under the battery tray as mentioned above. You will rarely, if ever need to service it. Since ECU's were not available from the factory in '69, I made a bracket at the back of the motor that connects to the two outer bolts that hold the valley pan. With my 6bbl air cleaner, it's virtually invisible.

An alternative MSD mounting location may be under the dash on passenger side in front of the door. Temporary removal of the glove box during installation may be required.

In 1972 Chrysler introduced Electronic Ignition. Since that's nearly 50 years ago, I am looking at replacing the stock system, with a newer/upgraded system. I'm guessing there are better options out there, and I'm seeking newer and better performance. Suggestions? My car is a 440/MT equipped, 1972 Road Runner. Thanks!
Cant wait to see if there is better ?

Auto Transport Service
Back