• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 rallye charger build the last stand!

Bb70charger500

Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
OK guys as most of you know I'm all over the place with my cars buy, sell , trade. But my charger never seems to leave , this is my dream car right after a dodge Daytona winged car . So yeah this is the dream that could/can happen! So I kinda started a build thread already on this far but it kinda wasn't one in the wrong area ,more of just here's my car look !!! So I decided to redo it and since I'm back on to the charger I decided to start the new thread now!
So I've been selling off all of my projects as I am getting no where and want to consolidate and get atleast one cool car . So the charger was the lucky car . The 47 Buick sold today (I reluctantly handed the title over) the sunroof car sold awhile back along with the r.t. charger. Then the d100 also left along with the 64 Newport conv I had. So now that all I have is the 72 charger and the 73 deuce and a half I can focus . So I will get all the old info and get it here to start at the beginning for you guys I will just post up a few pictures now to keep people happy I want to keep the timeline in order so be patient.

Cars info ! 1972 rallye charger 340 magnum automatic 8 3/4 sure grip stock 2.7? Gear .bucket seat car was gold exterior.white/black interior. Solid mount head lights . It was an interesting car but all I was wanting was a 72 rallye with the 340 magnum everything else wasn't important.
Goal! Pro touring style kinda stock appearing though, street car with about 450-500HP
Remove automatic upgrade to a 4 speed (I'm old school)
4 wheel disc brake conversion
Deff a suspension upgrade not sure what yet though .
Wheel s are going to be a set of boss 338's 18" in front 19" in rear .
Diff ,it got upgraded right before I bought it to a 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.55 gears but it's still a 741 case .womp woomp! I am ether going to
1: leave it to save on cost ,
2: try to find a 742 or 489 chunk and put 3.55 or 3.91 sure grip in them
4: dana! With above gears
Dana is deff overkill but it's a charger it should have a Dana right?
Interior needs to be all black !
Exterior I am thinking hugger orange with black accents .
I think that covers most oh and I am of course putting hideaway headlights on the charger, and shave the antenna too.
Here's two pictures of when I bought it and a picture of my last build that I'm going to copy basically as I liked how it was going wish I finished it . But now I can do it with a 72 rallye with a bad *** motor and a bit more bank to back the build up. Enjoy !
By the way please reply with input it gives me motivation! I need it badly!

197339-496727a9e6d9ad80458bf0776add1e92.jpg
197340-cb8a66c1e3cacca2e113eba39ecc9291.jpg
143235-e65d2ea9713c139f4391234ae8bf9f36.jpg

OK so yeah got it ripped it apart to check for damage. Ordered parts and kinda left it alone past that
210426-82904baaa47957a1e7e3c877247837b2.jpg
211074-3a7c0a287ebb1f3342854144515a8aad.jpg
211075-0dd595a017d9cc9dc2ea971a71e1fc50.jpg
IMAG2050_BURST002.jpg
and this is about current . I'm getting the car pulled around front into garage,so I can finish ripping it apart and get it up on the rotisserie to strip it. So stay tuned updates should be soon in the next few days. As I have a few other pending jobs that need attention first. Then full boar on the rallye .

Well, at least you said "sure grip" (and not "posi"), but "hugger" is NOT ACCEPTABLE to describe any orange color on a Mopar.

tsk, tsk.

Wanna tell us about the "protect-o-plate" in with your documentation?

Are you going with an overdrive unit like a gearvendors? Also you may want to upgrade the 741 if you have 450-500 hp.

Protect o plate ?

The 340 is actually pre worked I have a list on it I'll get it posted it dinoed 435 to the wheels as it sits I am going to switch out a few parts add a bigger cam since we're going 4 speed !

No overdrive unit in the works as of now if I need to add one I will but prefer not to that's why I'm hovering around the 3.55 gears.

Well the color is hugger orange ,I know I'm sorry it bothers the hell out of me too but I want a bright *** orange that says look at me and f you at the same time the mopar orange doesn't say that sadly .there is hope as the new challenger has a bright orange that might fly I am looking in to it !

And lastly I'm unsure if I want a console yet. I have everything for it but I'm kinda big (wide) and my knee always is touching them. I think I'm going without one !

Are you going with an overdrive unit like a gearvendors? Also you may want to upgrade the 741 if you have 450-500 hp.

Issues with the 741? The pinion is the smallest of the 3 but have you seen one fail? Only asking because I have one behind my 440 build

Yea, I broke my 741 3:55 behind my low deck Big Block. One burnout too many. It was in there for like 4 years before it broke. Tires might relieve some of that stress. I was using Mickey T's ET streets.

Auto Transport Service
Back